Mag.for M nagant 38

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by smed76, Sep 15, 2013.

1. smed76

smed76 New Member

Just wondering if anybody here has had a custom mag.built for a nagant.i hear it can't be dont without getting an archangel.
    I have a 38/composite sport stock.Dont like built in mag.but love my rifle.

2. longunner

longunner New Member

I saw one on YouTube one time but he didn't give any specs. I guess all that means is that it can be done.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its possible but you would end up with the same magazine made out of inferior material.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

double post

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The term "Nagant" is usually used to describe a revolver. The term Mosin-Nagant is far more accurate, and if you need to shorten to one word, Mosin would serve better.

Learn to use the stripper-clips with your M-38 and you can reload PDQ, and not need to purchase anything else.

6. smed76

smed76 New Member

Ok,I'll pick up a few and try em at the next shoot,thanks for the info.as simple of a design you'd think some kind of mag. Would be on the market.If the kid on the YouTube Video did it,damn.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

If there was a better way with this gun it would have been done at some point in the last 122 years...

The problem is its a rimmed cartridge. It takes a lot of space to load the magazine without getting rim locked. The soviet svd and romanian psl both use this cartridge but they are limited to ten rounds in a magazine wider than the reciever of the 91-30 and longer than the action can cycle.

Your not going to find any good solution outside a different stock/mag combo.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

Check this out

[ame]http://youtu.be/ciqMGK0Sl00[/ame]

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Couldn't tell what was going on thanks to the drunk guy holding the camera.

He only cycled 7 rounds. Claims to be 10 but I have my doubts on a straight magazine