Made in Japan Colt 4x20

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by JonM, Apr 17, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive spoken from time to time about my colt sp1 and colt 4x scope. it came new with the sp1. the sp1 is now retired to the gun safe and the colt scope has moved on to a new life on my AR15A1. I was out today TRYING to do a range report with it but just pics will have to suffice for now.

[​IMG]

as you can see this is a real one not a reprodruction as it has the correct made in japan stamp on the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Cotinued-

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

it has a bullet drop compensator as part of the elevation turret the ranges go from 1-2, 3, 4, 5 each are 100 yard increments. the compensator actually works well enough with 55grn fmj at 3000fps to hit center mass up to 500yds. just set the turret dial to the correct number and aim center mass. it works a little different than the more common bdc reticle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the glass like almost all japanese lens glass from the 60's 70's and early 80's is really clear.

[​IMG]

next weekend ill try again for a good range report with this scope. its one of my favorite optics. its simple, its got good clear optics, and the bdc dial really works well.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

got to love carry handle scopes, they just look awesome on guns.

4. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I have the same scope it came mounted on an orginal Colt SP11.:D

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Do you still use Yours?? I take mine out a lot and its usually a big draw at the range.

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

JonM, Yes it is my favorite set up for the AR15. Many of the younger shooters are not impressed . They cannot believe that a scope without batteries and bright red lights will work. I have an H-Bar upper with a 10X Leuopold for dog shooting.:D

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive run into the types now and then i gotta take to school with my 55grn fmj and old style triangle rifle and scope :) my wife has a leupold mk4 cqt and a good friend back in tejas swears by his eotech and i dont like either. ill take my old xhair 4x20 or open sights any day of the year.

i wish colt would re-contract out those old scopes i would like a new one as a backup :(

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Jon, their was a copy some years back. They were not marked Colt but they looked like the Colt. I have one some where in my junk. I used to keep it in the pocket of my AR15 bag. The AR 15 and 4x scope stay behind the seat in my Jeep. The AR 15 is a big favorite here in the Rocky Mtns. They take the winter weather real good. The only problem with them is they are not easy to pack on a horse.:D

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya ive seen those and it didnt appear the quality was there. i take it you dont use your clone much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

relevant links:

Scabbards

Carbine Scabbard

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Hey now that is some rig. I like that alot. We will be checking that one out. No I don't use the clone. I think the orginal Colt scopes are rather expensive. Have you tried any of the Herters .223 as sold by Cabelas. I bought a case of this ammo. I shoot it in the winter as the cases are lost in the snow. I got it for $3.99 per box. The stuff shoots OK.:D

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

no i load my own to as close to milspec as i can get with civvy powders. original colts are running 600-800$

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

$600 to $800 thx I had no idea.:eek:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've got the box and original papers with mine. I been keeping an eye open at gunshows for one I can nab on the cheap. They are collector items atm. Kinda like those springfield armory scopes.