Made a purchase - hit the range - customized her!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ViperGTS, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ViperGTS

ViperGTS New Member

I've been away for a while, on account of having recently had brain surgery. Right before I went in, I purchased a Ruger P85, 9mm, 15+1 capacity, DAO. It's in excellent shape and I even found the documentation from the original owner (feels like accidentally finding a carfax report, lol).

I've been open carrying it the past couple of weeks. I went up to the local range and have, so far, put about 300 rounds through it. I feel comfortable enough to with the operation and my accuracy to be carrying, so don't worry about that. I've spent a LOT of time practicing and drilling at home, and I also purchased a couple of nickel-plated, high capacity magazines (17 cap instead of 15) and a double mag holster. With the two spare magazines fully loaded, the regular mag in the mag well full, and a round in the pipe, it occurs to me that I'm carrying 49+1 - a full box of ammo. :D

Also, as a project (cabin fever was setting in the first week I was stuck at home to recover), I bought some extra grips online and when they came in, I painted them a couple of different colors. One pair is dark red, another is hunter green, and my personal favorite, which is on it all the time, is blue.

[​IMG]

I'm going up to Tanner's with the girlfriend this weekend to see about finding a .45 that will fit both of our hands, so we can both carry when she feels comfortable with it. Also, I am going to help her through the process of obtaining a Pennsylvania LTCF, starting today with getting the paperwork ready for her.

All in all, I've had a pretty eventful month, and I just thought I would share. :)

Mark

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Enjoy your pistol!

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Welcome back!

Looks like you didn't skip a beat. Keep up the great work. [​IMG]

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Nice buy.

When its holstered, does it look like a training gun? (red/blue gun)

5. ViperGTS

ViperGTS New Member

I don't think so - the training guns are ALL blue or ALL red - mine just looks like it has colored grips. So, you tell me. :D

[​IMG]

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's a nice pistol. I'm glad you are doing better and up and at em!

Congratulations and good luck on getting that license and new .45.

Anyone in particular you're looking at?

7. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

That looks like a very nice buy. =)

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice! A buddy of mine has one of the p95's with a very similar holster & LOVES that pistol. He actually found a magazine for it that holds ~30 rounds, for target shooting at the pits.

Consider the XD45, i love mine, especially the grip's angle, but i do have fairly large hands.

9. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Paint job on the grips looks good! What kind of paint did you use?

10. ViperGTS

ViperGTS New Member

Just Krylon Fusion, followed by a layer of clear coat laquer in an attempt to protect it from retention strap wear.

I am looking into picking up that little Taurus 24/7 as my .45. We shall see!

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

No problem seeing that!! :eek:

Congrats and welcome back!!

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Glad to hear that the gourd surgery went well, and welcome back! My next-door neighbor is a Navy diver and owns 3 Rugers in 9mm, .40, and .45, and they are as tough as they are pleasurable to shoot.