Machete or hatchet

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by shawn_c2000, Jan 12, 2013.

1. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

If I had to bug out and only grab one what would be better / more versatile a good machete or a good hatchet?

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

A good Kukri is a versatile choice also.

3. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

Machete, hands down. Trust me on this one I've got 38 years of experience clearing brush. The machete does a much better job of cutting, is almost as good for splitting, and would make a better weapon.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree on Machete. It just seems more versatile.

5. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Another thumbs up on the machete (or any really big knife such as a kukri), but it has a good one with a heavy blade. :)

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Have you guys never used a Woodsmans pal?... All the rangers up in Maine swear by them.
    They work like a machete or an axe, and they have a hook on the end for gripping things like branches, etc....

I have gone through machetes, and prefer Cold Steel, I have hatchets and axes for chopping and splitting wood, but the Woodsmans pal is the best, hands down, for clearing brush, etc... I really like the hook too, because you can grap limbs that are just out of reach and pull them down. Plus the handle is very comfortable.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Hossfly... Lol

9. Kai

Kai New Member

I use a kukri...it chops like a hatchet and cuts like a heavy camp knife.

10. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

I have used the Woodsman's Pal and I found it to be too short, it has no point (which would limit it's use as a weapon) and the hook feature was of little use. the 24 inch Barteaux is my favorite and I've used them extensively for the last 22 years. They've never dissapointed me. the Gerber machetes work well. they take and hold a good edge. They also have a saw back which does work but not very well. I've found the Cold Steel machetes to be too soft. They're easy to sharpen but if you hit anything larger than weeds the edges roll over and the handles are very uncomfortable. Collins machetes have good blades but I don't care much for their handles (both of which are better than Cold Steel). If I could have only one cutting tool it would be the 24 inch Barteaux.

11. capto56

capto56 New Member

How bout the croval? Jk ;)

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Am I the only one who has a hatchet for their bag?

13. capto56

capto56 New Member

I will join you once I find a little extra cash and the right one to buy. I'd rather have one over a machete. Although the woodsman pal looks nice, just dong have that much cash to spare

14. FullautoUSA

I've been looking for some survival stuff in some catalogues o would suggest you check out BudK, they have tons of survival stuff cheap.
    I recently saw these in a catalogue and think they would be pretty good for signaling
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=8-1&keywords=pulling+fireworks&condition=new

15. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

A "tactical Tomahawk" is far superior to a machete in every way

16. FullautoUSA

These are not for use as weapons though, they are for use as tools

17. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

In a survival situation i would want my choice to be just as viable as tool or weapon that is why ido have a tactical tomahawk

18. FullautoUSA

If you need a weapon, don't use a tomahawk, it's ineffective, bring a gun