M9a1

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JonM, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

third time is the charm as they say. this is my third 92fs first one was a copy of the first run of the issue M9. second one i was issued it and carried it for 5 years it went back to depot twice for cracked slide and cracked frame lug. i shot a LOT of rounds out of that issue gun. prolly close to 25k or so. i know the platform pretty well.

i sold the first one because of issues with the military one i had. accuracy wasnt that great with either. my old taurus pt99af shot better (i rgret selling it).

anyway ive had a love hate going on with this gun since die hard. one of my most favorite movies. i know its a stupid reason to buy a gun but there it is. anyway the current political climate has prompted me to get one. since the m9 is still current issue there should tons of mags and ammo available.

this the m9a1 it seems to be much improved over my last experiences with the us service pistol. fit and finish is much better. while it does have a heavy da pull the sa pull isnt too bad. its got zero creep with a little take up. reset on firing isnt bad and rapid fire is easy to keep on target.

like most all metal 9mm the size and weight keeps recoil manageable (shot it this weekend) i do kinda like shooting this gun so i may do a lot more with it.

pic of the new toy:

[​IMG]

course any gun i get i gotta play dress up. the m9a1 fits the xdm 45 holster perfectly.

[​IMG]

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are just a glutton for punishment.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

I know. I cant help it. Its kinda like that fat chick of guns. Gotta keep going back for the fun

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

That is a wonderful one you have there.

5. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

As a Nat. Guard armorer (M.P.). I was involved in switching my unit's 145 1911's for the M-9's. I am no fan of the M-9 and would rather go to the Sig's carried by C.I.D. or N.C.I.S.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

I was involved in that switch over as well. Ive got lots of trigger time on sigs 1911s and the 92fs. I wouldnt take the original issue guns on a paid bet. This one seems a lot better. Im likening it to the original m16 vs the m16a1. Two different guns.

I own a p220 a ww2 ithaca 1911a1 a springfield 1911a1 and two colt series 70. I also have a couple of xdm and some 380's as far as semi autos go. Im not a fan at all of the sigs that arent in the p22x series they dont feel right.

The way a gun looks does have a small part to play in buying one and the thing that has always brought me back around to liking the 92 has always been its unique look.

7. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

As a fellow 92fs owner, I'm glad to see a post about them. I'm in what I think as a small minority as I've always felt the 92 is one of the best feeling pistols out there in terms of how it fits in my hand.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice backdrop! ;)

So, what is going on the rail?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Maybe a bayonet or a magazine holder... heh.

Nothing i dont like rails on handguns. If could have got that exact model sans rail i would have. Adding junk to a pistol makes it slower

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

When discussing the original service pistols, remember that the 1911 went through several improvements and the 1911A1 came out. The M1 Garand was product improved several times before going into combat.

Very few service weapons are perfect for the hard service they will receive in first issue.

11. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

Funny, I wanted one with a rail (for a light) but they didn't have one when I bought mine few months ago, hence no rail for me.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Seems to be the way it goes at times. The rail doesnt seem as intrusive as some other railed guns like the new colt 1911 rail guns. I wouldnt take one of those unless it got a shave.

The main reasons i dont put lights on a gun is because it changes the center of balance and its bad form to point a loaded gun at a friend or loved one to check injuries.

This is true. The original first issue m9 was junk and even today you couldnt pay me to put one in my safe. The issues *seem* to be fixed. The early versions of most things issued always seem to be problematic. The first version of the m249 saw was pretty damn crappy and would only function reliably with magazines from an m16. It was extremely finnicky running from a belted ammo source.

13. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Like it! I have a 92fs and love mine! The newer ones are much better than the ones from the 80's.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think my SAW was built in the early 90's. It was my sexy goddess. The receiver had seen so much cleaning that it looked chrome. It made my tongue flop out every time I looked at her. Out of nearly continuous 4 years, I had not. One. Single. Failure. I kissed it on many occasions. One time in particular, after a nice little scrape in Afghanistan, I lit a cigarette on the barrel, then kissed the receiver.

I was madly in love with that deadly vixen.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

They all got updated feed tray covers shortly after the initial deployment. It was a design error that only cropped up when actual troops started using em outside a test facility in typical nonstandard ways like putting em on vehicles and driving over bouncy roads. Or using them without the green drums. Once they got fixed ours ran fine after that. Still kept my m60. My thinking was if i gotta carry a pig of a gun might as well have the hitting power to go with it. Half our m60 got replaced with saws

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  16. trip286

trip286 New Member

How much m60 ammo could you carry? I would've preferred a heavier hitting gun myself, but being capable of packing over 2k rounds in my patrol pack made a world of difference. Then my A-gunner carried an additional 600, and after a few scrapes that were pretty intense, it became SOP for my squad for everyone to carry a box.

Between my whole squad...
    Each saw gunner (2) had a minimum of 2K (I carried one extra box because I could) Each A-gunner (2) had 600, with 1K spread loaded among the other 5 in the squad.

7,300 rounds of linked 5.56 that could readily be brought to bear on any ass hole. And more than once, we used it all. :) good times.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

I coulda probably fitted 10k or more in my hmmvw if i tossed out everyone else's the snivel gear...

Weight isnt a real issue for mounted troops

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Mounted? Hell, there would be no question if I was mounted. I'd be rocking a .50.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Believe me i TRIED to get them to issue 50cals to my mp unit!!!

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I've always been a Beretta fan. 1st handgun I bought. It was the FS model, and it was a nice gun. I regret selling it. Recently, I bought another, the 96A1. Also recently, I have become annoyed with Beretta. Seems like they roll out a new gun, and then either it doesn't work, or they don't support it. Nano, tons of complaints about functioning. CX4, 40 & 45 versions not supported with the hi cap mags everyone wants. Certain parts hard to come by at times.
    BUT, the CX4 & the 96 share mags, and thats handy, and cool.