M91/30’ russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sola7, May 18, 2011.

1. sola7

sola7 New Member

Hello all. I can get one of these at Big 5's for $99. M91/30’ RUSSIAN MOSIN NAGANT BOLT-ACTION RIFLE. Anyone have any experience with these? Is this a good deal? I would get it just because I like war history and items. I would shoot it occasionally. Any info would be great.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

$99 aint a bad price at all. There are plenty of guys on here that have one or more Mosins. I myself may get one for fathers day this year.

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I have one, I bought mine for $90, It came with a bayonet, Dog Collar, ammo pouch, blah blah blah, Big-5 may not sell all the extra stuff, But that is up to you weather you want it or not.
    I say go for it, Be sure to inspect them well, Some can be hit or miss, Check out 7.62x54R.net there is a lot of great info there.

Mine...
    [​IMG]

4. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

it will be the best $99 you ever spend...............nothing like setting a large steel target up 800 yards away and spending an afternoon with some buddies seing who can get the most hits with iron sites :)

I used to have one with a scope on it and it out shot my friends 223 varmint riffle after about 300 yards LOL

you can buy a case of 880 rounds for something like $139

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc]YouTube - 1,000 yards 1942 91/30 Russian Mosin-Nagant (P/U) sniper rifle[/ame]

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Mosin bolt & counter boreing

there a pretty sound rifle and the only two things I ever heard were the sticking of fired casses in the chamber after fireing this is because of a buildup of a coating found on certain surpluse cartridges, the Steel case ones with a Laquer coating, some the laquer rubbs or melts to the walls the chamber you will need a good quality chamber cleaning brush, also make shure your bolt caming contact points are greased(cocks on opening) so a stubbern case and a dry cam can really bite when shooting.

The other item is accuracy, since you own a rifle that was most likely used in a war, its accuracy might not be that great, some the mosins had been counterbored (back drilling the muzzle) to repair cleaning rod damage I once had a 91/30 that with over 2" of counter bore.
    counter boreing is a acceptable repair and you will see them from time to time so dont be spooked the muzzle will appear as if its 40 caliber or bigger.
    one my kids has a yard sale .22 with 5.5" of counter bore and is very accurate (no I dident counterbore it).
    If you want to scope it I'd suggest first two options of three, the russian (enemy at the gates) side mount that requires inletting the stock and changeing the bolt body (keep the same bolt head=head spaced) or buy a scout scope mount that clamps on the rear sight base and keep everthing original with no lasting damage as a collecter piece.
    when the chamber is clean mosin's are fun to shoot.
    Most folks dont like the idea of drilling and mounting a commercial scope mount to the receiver as collecters have a dim view of that. and its very hard to use the stripper clips to charge the mag on a rifle scoped like that.

You will buy it, who can pass up a centerfire rifle for $100? if its stamped [SA] on the left side the receiver/ barrel this rifle was used by Finland's military and may have had some accurizeing done already, when removing the stock pay attention for action shims(primitave action bedding)to firm the action, and the forearm and hand guard should be some what loose as they allow the barrel to move (freefloated) if its tight the stock /hand guard are pressing on the barrel and affects accuracy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  6. Blaine

Blaine New Member

Got mine from Buds this morning. 1938-Numbers matching.

[​IMG]

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ive spent between $80-$100 on my Mosins from Big 5. They do come with all the stuff you pictured....

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you get a Finn, SA stamped it will no longer have red shellac as the stock finish. It will be an oiled stock. This one is double SA stamped, one on each side. Original Finn capture 91/30's are not common and are not found w/ imports from ex soviet states, only Finland.
    [​IMG]

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

AIM Surplus - $69

Worth every dollar. (and ammo is still cheap!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

one of the best guns I've got only for $100 has a pretty good group at 200yards and really simple mechs.

11. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

You will never regret it. A blast to shoot. Ammo is cheap, they can be very accurate and did i mention that it is a blast to shoot?

12. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

So ... These Mosin Nagants... mounting a present day scope is a pain from what I am researching due to the vertical bolt action? Was really looking hard at this weapon. Am in the market for a 100yard rifle that can be scoped for range fun...

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Turned down bolts are pretty easy to find for these. Putting an original mount isnt easy to do but the original sniper mounts hold zero after many removals and remountings. Ive never come across a modern mount system that works anywhere near as well.

For ww2 its about as good a rugged sniper rifle base as you can get.

Several companies make no drill mounts but i dont personally know anything about them. Cant give ya links as im typing from my nook atm.

14. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

Are those WWII mounts pretty accessible (price wise and availability wise)? Can you mount a modern scope on them? I've seen Mosin Nagant M91/30s that had the original scope and mount - sniper model - But they were like $450 instead of $99 :(

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If you want to mount a modern scope I wouldnt use the PU style. There are lots of different mounts for the Mosin. The "easy" way would be to use the "no-smith" scout mount, but you gotta use a long eye relief scope and you lose your open sights. I think ATI makes a kit that comes with a mount and bolt conversion, but the bolt takes some drilling and tapping. A quick look on ebay showed all kinds of bent bolt kits and services. I couldnt find the guy who modified my bolt on ebay, he did all kinds of cool stuff to 'em. You could have the bolt bent in the original sniper style or swept at different angles, and he could convert the safety to a pull ring style. It was very good work too, it looks totally factory.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  16. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

I guess I'll forgo the scope on the Mosin that I plan to buy (who can pass up $99 for a vintage WWII rifle even if it is not US ? :D ) and go back to my original plan which was a ruger 10/22 stainless barrel / synthetic stock with some sort of scope for the 100 yard plinking fun (cheaper ammo too).

I'll just have the Mosin and occasionally shoot it iron site.

17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

ATI kits

The ATI conversion kit requires cutting off your bolt handle and attaching another useing a socket head allen screw.
    The bolt mod is kinda hokeey but you keep your same bolt body, the problem is shooting them lacquer coated steel cased rounds and gumming the chamber, now your yanking on a #10 cap head screw instead of the old steel bolt handle. which can eventually work loose when its been fired awhile, Best to buy the ATI scope if you want it to stay a scoped rifle this leaves some really huge ugley holes on top the receiver.
    I'd suggest investing on a scout mount and long eye relief scope then you have a cheap scout rifle with floor plate and can load quick useing stripper clips, (you cannot load all 5 rounds in a Mosin mag and close the bolt on a empty chamber)the scope mount is attached to the front receicer by two #10 machine screws, the mount holes have to be done by a scope mount Jig and have to make abaolutely shure its straight or your goona be bumming bigtime, I paid $40 to have a gunsmith drill my rifle.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  18. Stevodod

Stevodod New Member

I know this is an older thread, but my neighbor encouraged me to get one of these- where can you get one now? Big 5 is out, AIM surplus is out- anyone selling one?

Stevo