M48a Yugo Mauser 8mm thoughts?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Mikeb420, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mikeb420

Mikeb420 New Member

I just bought an M48 a Yugoslavia 8 mm Mauser an absolute perfect condition it's never been touched or re Arsenal or anything of the sort that I can tell all matching numbers and absolutely a pristine shiny beautiful bore...

My questions are 4-1 what all accessories are available for the specific rifle that would be historically accurate such as cleaning kits and magazine holders stripper Clips blah blah blah blah blah?

Second I would love to mount a scope on it and I've been looking at the bad Ace no drill no-tap that replaces just the front I mean rare ironsight on the back of the rifle and put a scout scope on it but I don't know that any of the Mauser m48a is ever was historically Devin a scout style scope Ford of the action so what I want to know is what kind of scope mount actually fits historically accurate Lee the m48a 8m are Yugoslavian Mauser even if it has to be modified or drilled and tapped I'd much rather have it look like it was meant to be that way than to ugly it up with some little pistol scope on the front.

Also I'm shooting 196 grain soft point cutting-edge Sayre and belay ammo and I have gotten a couple of boxes of PPU match line 200 grain full metal jackets which I guess her face clear up with cuz or remakes of World War II precision shooting rifles ammunition.

So out of curiosity with good ammo and good aim what kind of group should I be able to expect from 8 mm miles are in 100% mint condition.
    Also oddly enough I bought the rifle from somebody and then I went to a pawn shop right down the street and I found the bayonet that fits the rifle with the actual same serial number and I got that for thirty bucks so I have about three hundred and sixty bucks in the entire gun...

I really love this turn this thing into what would be considered a sniper rifle for one my eyesight is not that great so iron sights past 25 to 50 yards is horrible but I would love to have a scope on it but I don't want to put some ugly modernist crap on it and take away from the Beauty and Perfection of such firearm so I would like to find something at least looks historically accurate I've seen a few actually use Mosin that got melts in a PU Scope although I can't for in that finding amount that would be very similar and and looking online for a scope that is very similar would be okay with me as long as when I take it off it looks pretty much the same - maybe possibly whatever small holes that have to be drilled and tapped to mount such a thing

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Forget the scope and PLEASE don’t even think of drilling a mint Mauser. Soldiers used to fire them to good effect at hundreds of meters. Don’t look for bug sized groups, just shoot at man sized targets and see how far you can hit them with the issue iron sights. Different game and a lot more fun with that gun.

primer1, Fred_G, elfmdl and 2 others like this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

when I bought mine in the early 2000s, which was also brand new never fired, accessories that came with it; a bayonet, SN to the gun, leather sling, double leather ammo pouch and a cleaning kit in a green canvas pouch and a brass oil bottle.

as for scope, if you want "historical accurate" you want to get ZRAK scope mount and a M76 4x32 ZRAK scope, that will set you back far more then the cost of the gun
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/323946847473

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Drilling and tapping a surplus military Mauser just makes me cringe.

At 100 yards 2" to 3' groups are normal. Least that's what my 1937 Sauer K98k will do.

Occasionally one of the places like J&G or Aim Surplus will find some 50s through 80s 198 gr. Yugo surplus 8mm. and sell it pretty reasonable. It's darn good, better than commercial though it is corrosive. If you find some marked M75 you've hit the motherload, it can't be beat. Buy as much as you can.

towboater likes this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MIKE

PICTURES PLEASE!
    And yes, do not do anything to it that would in anyway change it from ORIGINAL!
    If you are sell it to someone who will value the rifle for what it is.

6. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a scope mount for Mausers that attaches to the rear sight mount and can be removed and replace the original sight when ever with no damage to the Mauser

Sniper03 likes this.
  7. Mikeb420

Mikeb420 New Member

I was just watching a documentary about the ww2 snipers...
    And Zeiss did make a scope that replaced with rear sight leaf...
    So basically a bad ace no drill and tap mount and a 4x scope... Long eye relief...
    I don't plan on ever getting rid of the rifle.... And I found 198 grain and 200 grain match ammo for 13 to 14 a box.... After a few of those I am going to have to get a cheap reloading press.... To start with at least.... Because it's in very good condition.... I don't plan on shooting 1000s of rounds thru it.... But mabey 20 or so each time I get to the range.

I do not want to alter the rifle permanent in any way. It's taken half a decade to stumble upon a Mauser... Even if it's a m48...whatever... It wasn't expected, 1000$ or beat to crap.... Or worse... Sporterized... Lol

Even found a like new norinco sks
    But someone has replaced the wood with some stupid ATI folder and a 30 round junk Mag....
    I want to get it and restore it

8. Mikeb420

Mikeb420 New Member

I was just watching a documentary about the ww2 snipers...
    And Zeiss did make a scope that replaced with rear sight leaf...
    So basically a bad ace no drill and tap mount and a 4x scope... Long eye relief...
    I don't plan on ever getting rid of the rifle.... And I found 198 grain and 200 grain match ammo for 13 to 14 a box.... After a few of those I am going to have to get a cheap reloading press.... To start with at least.... Because it's in very good condition.... I don't plan on shooting 1000s of rounds thru it.... But mabey 20 or so each time I get to the range.

I do not want to alter the rifle permanent in any way. It's taken half a decade to stumble upon a Mauser... Even if it's a m48...whatever... It wasn't expected, 1000$ or beat to crap.... Or worse... Sporterized... Lol

Even found a like new norinco sks
    But someone has replaced the wood with some stupid ATI folder and a 30 round junk Mag....
    I want to get it and restore it

9. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

that rifle you saw had a ZF41 scope on it. although it may have looked like to was mounted to the rear sight base, it wasn't. the mount was drilled and tap on the side of the receiver by the rear sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

no military rifle, anywhere, ever had a scope that was mounted directly on a rear sight base, that was something thought up for the commercial market only. anyway, if that is the way you are going, there are plenty of scope mount that mount to the rear sight bases out there :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019