M4 vs M16?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Aug 18, 2011.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I plan to purchase my first AR soon and can't decide between the fixed stock, 20 incher or the M4 style, I definitely want a flat-top but I have read that the 5.56 is less than adequate when fired from the short barrel. Any thoughts? Honestly I prefer the feel of the M16 A4 but im thinking the added lenth might not be necessary.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the military m4 uses a 14.5inch barrel.

you will lose some off the max range but it will perform just fine within the normal combat rifle range of 300meters/yards.

the military is just fine with that velocity loss. so for a range target or home defense rifle it will serve just fine.

my personal preference is for lightweight 20" barrels.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I prefer a 14.5" lightweight. The performance difference, if you want to call it that, is small.

4. sputnik1988

I have almost no experience with the M4 style, are they really that much more ergonomic, I'm a bigger guy and have long arms so i can't stand short stocks

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I use collapsible stocks exclusively on the second to shortest position. A nice 14.5" barreled upper w/ a 12" rail works great. By no means am I a big man but I do have long arms, mid to upper 70" reach.

6. luan87us

luan87us New Member

Does it give you more control with the stock short? i've been trying to figure out which position work best for me but so far can't seen to find different.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Im just more comfortable w/ my stock in the #2 possition. Holding as far out as possible on the rail/hand guard is where a lot of the control comes from. Kinda like when we were young trying to use a baseball bat that was to large for us and would "choke up" on it.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't sweat the performance difference. It only matters w/ball ammo. We civilians can use soft points and they work just fine out of the shorter barrel.

9. sputnik1988

That's a pretty valid point... Guess its inconsequential. Now to decide which I feel more comfortable with.

10. Bighead

Bighead New Member

What do you plan on using the rifle for?

11. xiocian

xiocian New Member

carbine imo

I prefer carbine models over the longer barrels, but a longer barrel does have it's benefits.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

On many ballistics charts a lot of loads only lose 100-150 fps going from 20 to 16 inches. Not a big deal when the bullet's still going 2700-3000 fps. I'd go with the carbine length. Now when you go under 14.5" the difference gets substantial.

Of course you can put a longer fixed stock on a carbine if you want. Or just extend the telestock.