M39 Mosin

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Trez, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I might get a M39 Mosin today... What can you tell me about them? From what ive read there the best Mosins ever made?

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

From what I can see, they are good rifles. Here's some prices.

http://www.empirearms.com/M39.htm

A post in another forum said that they are worth about $225, but that was in 2009.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I think he said it was a 1944 Sako.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

They are high quality military surplus rifles. If you get a good bore, you can have a great shooter.
    They are on par with the 1903, or the Enfield in quality.

I go a little against the grain as I prefer the M-27, but most people do like the 39 better. The main difference is that the M-27 sights work better for my old eyes.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have the m44. its nice great fun to shoot. shoots a flame out like no tomorrow.. kicks a lot harder than its longer, heavier cousin. but really really fun!.. i got lucky. picked it up from my buddy for 125.

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

That's the variant I want the most. I'll trade you my 91/30 for it :rolleyes:

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Dont wanna say.... :(

But I already have a 91/30 PU..... :p

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

As long as it's under or at least around $400, it would be a decent buy. Depends on the condition. There's one on gunbroker with beautiful wood, but very worn blueing (metal looked to be in good condition though, and the worn blueng gave it character), for $370.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318771941

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its gonna be trade...... Pretty fair, but....

Lets just say the "Emperor" would disprove.... ;)

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have reservations about buying Russian milsurp online. I went through several cases of rifles in different shops before I found a 91/30 with matching serial numbers, that functioned well enough for me to want it. The rifle I did finally buy has a hex receiver and it is in very good condition as a shooter.

I would have a hard time plunking down $370 for a rifle that could be worn out sight unseen. The things I look for in milsurp rifle are difficult to photograph. Even knowing I can turn down the rifle I still wouldn't buy it online.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I getting it in person, so I can check it out before I trade.... :)

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had a M39 that had a Tikka barrel. It was much more accurate and had a smoother trigger than my Russian 91/30s. The Finns took better care of their rifles, and used higher quality barrels.

I also had a Finn barreled M91 (not a 91/30) that had a Sako barrel. It was also in better shape and a better shooter than the Russians that I have.

The biggest thing I would look at is the condition of the bore. Even though the Finns took good care of teh rifles, a second owner may not have been so kind about caring for the bore after using corrosive ammo.

Both of my Finns had very nice bright, and shiney bores with very crisp rifling grooves.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Before I put up some pics... I would like to say for the record... You Mosin people need to F&^$# quit spreading the disease!!! :mad: :p

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Heres some pics.. Its actually a 1941 Sako, built on a 1898 Tula receiver..
    Ive never seen all the old Mosin marks, this thing has all kinds of Tula hammers and Izzi.. Izzu (The other armory! :p ) Bow & arrows.. Its really pretty neat! :D

I gonna go shoot it as soon as I load up some ammo, but WOW! So far Im actually impressed! I think it may be just as nice as a 1903! (We'll see after I shoot it ;) )

Never did I think I would trade one of my beloved Arisakas for a Mosin or comparing one to a 1903!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

15. batjka

batjka New Member

Nice rifle!

Mine is a 1943 Sako. It's a beauty.

Just a word of advice, you need to make sure the action screws are tight every once in a while. They tend to back out and your aim will be thrown off.

Looking forward to the range report.

16. Chainfire

That is a great rifle! Way to score!

17. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Holy crap!!! Whats the deal with the bayonets??!!! :eek: They cost more than the gun!!!...

I was reading that the M39 Bayonets were made for the Finnish civil guard.. My M39 doesnt have any of the civil guard marks, what bayonet would the other troops use on their M39's? Is there a easier to find/cheaper bayonet that will fit?

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice stick Trez. You're going to love it. :cool:

19. Chainfire

Even a reproduction bayonet cost a bundle. The M-27 bayonet will work, but they ain't cheap either. Be careful if you look for the bayo, that you don't buy a repro for the "real deal" price.