M1s for all!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Sep 24, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Or 100 000 anyway...

South Korea planning sale of 86,000 Garand rifles to US citizens

[​IMG]

'South Korea's defence ministry has announced plans to sell up to 86,000 M1 Garand rifles to gun enthusiasts and collectors in the United States. Along with a reported 22,000 M1 carbine rifles, the total value of firearms for sale exceeds $100 million.

The U.S. government has approved the plan for sales of the rifles, which were originally given to South Korea as part of a U.S. aid program in the 1950's.

The M1 is reportedly the first semi-automatic rifle generally issued to the infantry of any nation and saw service in the U.S. military from 1936-1966, primarily during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Subsequently, the M1 became a highly sought after collectors item, particularly through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The U.S. military also sells surplus M1 rifles through the program.

A well-maintained Garand is both accurate and reliable, and the rifle is popular for hunting, target shooting, competitive shooting, military parades and reenactments as well as being prized collector pieces.

South Korea expects this sale to raise tens of millions of dollars.'

South-Korea-planning-sale-of-86000-Garand-rifles-to-US-citizens

2. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

OOH, I'll take one! (or 2) The M1 is a great all purpose firearm in what I think is the perfect caliber (for a rifle, not that good for a side arm). Interesting post, I will do research now, thanks!

3. orangello

orangello New Member

:) :) :)
    I wonder if there will be any left after the collectors finish.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had two Inland M1 carbines that are long gone, but I do have a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It's mostly Springfield with a Winchester bolt and a Buffalo barrel and it's a sweet shooter.

If someone has a chance to pick one up, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how nice they are.

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Let's do the math. If they expect "tens of millions of dollars" for 100,000 rifles, then each rifle will have an average cost of..........:eek:

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Any indication who will be bringing these into the U.S.? Maybe the NRA can buy them for their Civilian Marksmanship Program. CMP Home

7. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Most likely rack grade quality or worse. Depending on the price and the condition of the rifle, these may or may not be a good deal for the shooter, but may make great wall hangers. :) From my own experience with garrands, the best way to go is get one form the CMP. I own two :D ..........markerdown

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Hopefully they go through CMP!

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Uh yeah, they should be handed out free to us. We paid for them already with our taxes....

11. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

We will have to wait and see. The rifles the CMP are selling were given to them by the US Army. The last rifle I bought was Russian and was imported by Century International Arms Inc.
    From the CMP Discussion Forum:

12. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Whats wrong with this picture!!!!!:confused:

Uncle Sam GAVE these weapons to South Korea. Last time I checked, Gave means free of charge and most likely there was ammo, US training and beaucoup US dollars thrown in the deal.

Now, after all these years of use, these beat to crap weapons, they want to SELL them to the US?? :mad:

They should just donate them as a gift to every US vet who served in that war who wants one.

Un-freakin believable!!! ...........markerdown

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  13. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

When our Government gave the weapons to South Korea they became theirs. South Korea can keep, sell, or otherwise dispose of them any way they want. We Americans don't have to buy one if we don't want to.