M1A1 SOCOM Tight Mag Well

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Vikingdad, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have this brand new M1A1 that I took shooting this weekend that has an incredibly tight mag well. It is a factory Springfield mag. I have some after-market mags on the way but I am wondering if I should stone the spots where it is dragging. Here are some pics of both the receiver and on the mag. The wear is pretty even on both sides.

Any advice/thoughts/ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Contact springfield armory they will fix it and refinish the work so its like new.

3. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Send it in for repair. - It shouldn't be doing that.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

^^^^^

Exactly what I was going to say... If I paid 2 grand for a rifle you bet I'd send it back if it wasn't right.

5. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Yes send it back it seems by the pics its dragging real bad on the mag well.....but the magazine is also a possibility so wait till u get ur other magazines before u send it back and see if they drag as well

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes, I was going to wait for the new mags, bu the one that I do have is the one that came with the rifle (factory Springfield).

7. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

It could possibly be the mag but if the other ones u ordered do the same thing send it back they will probably open up the mag well a lil bit and send it back real quickly but in case u don't know send the mag with so they can see what is going on

8. fragout

fragout New Member

It's your $$, but I wouldn't use any mags other than what the rifle sold with if it were me. ( Aftermarket mags can be a bad thing concerning the M1A)

Hard to tell from the photo, but it probably is not a mag related issue.

Contact SAI, and ask if they will send you another one of their mags so that you can rule it out for sure. From the pics, you will be able to get that mag replaced thru them, and it wont cost you a dime to either.

9. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

It want hurt anything to run after market magazines just as long as there for that specific gun cause I can tell u personally Springfield or any other place besides wilson and daniel defence make there own magazines they get them out sourced

10. fragout

fragout New Member

Springfield Armory Inc. (SAI) M1A magazines are made for them by Checkmate Industries. All they do is add their logo to the mags.

SAI will take care of the rifle and any of their marked magazines, but not any other magazines.....so there is no sense in running other mags thru this rifle for this reason. If it was my rifle, then I wouldn't want to tear up a finish on any mag I purchased, unless SAI would cover any damage. ( Contact them directly just to be sure.)

Especially if the magazines are 1960 era USGI M14 magazines.

The other reason stems from several aftermarket magazines and their dimensions. Example = a KCI marked mag. This isnt a GI spec mag, and while it may insert into the rifle without any finish damage, it would do so because it's dimensions are not the same as CMI or USGI.

The last reason is to eliminate the issue as a mag related issue by utilizing another magazine of same maker. Utilizing an aftermarket mag wont tell me anything in this regard. A 2nd SAI magazine will tell me if I simply ended up with an out of spec magazine, or if the issue is the rifle itself, which it most likely is.

SAI will cover the costs involved to make all right, and too include any of their marked mags that were damaged by an out of spec rifle.

Their customer service is 2nd to none in my experience concerning a used XD40. even thou it was used, they fixed my issue with it, and gave me a lefty holster for free. ( And this being a used gun)

Never had an issue with an M1A yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

This is a new rifle. The one mag I have is a 10-round Springfield stamped piece, and it is now gouged up from inserting it a couple of times. I am pretty confident it is the mag well that is causing the issue. Since I only have one mag I will wait until I have tried some of the after-market mags I have ordered. I will not force them to seat if they show any sign of jamming into the well (which is the case with the one I have.)

12. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Thats exactly what I would do...it will eliminate one of the reasons that could be causing the drag no matter what brand or design the mag is as long as its the mag for that specific model u will be fine if it feeds the bullets with no issues and is not c auseing any visible damage to the firearm or the mag ....then its doing what it was intended to do trust me i have handled quite a few

13. fragout

fragout New Member

I wouldnt force them either. If the mag isnt an SAI marked mag, then your SOL if the finish is damaged on another mag.

FWIW...... There can be several differences between magazines when it comes to the M1A. Some can vary to such a degree that they are not worth buying. ( Found out the hard way firsthand with Promag)

What brand of aftermarket mags do you have?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I only have one SA stamped factory mag. I have a few after-market mags on backorder right now. I am going to send the rifle in for repair while I wait for the mags to come in.

15. fragout

fragout New Member

Here is the SAI Customer service #
    1-800-680-6866

Here are 2 places that I have bought M14 magazines from.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14accessories.html

http://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi

Both sell good quality properly constructed M14/M1A magazines, and both have them in stock. Both are pleasant to deal with, and sell exactly what's advertised. ( I'm not affiliated in any way. Just a happy customer.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014