M1a

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by pseudolus, May 27, 2013.

1. pseudolus

pseudolus New Member

Am about 1/2 way there saving $. Was wondering your thoughts on this system. It's just the next gun on my list. Other then a 10-22. an AK, an AR and a 30-06 I don't have much for rifles. Wanted something that was a larger caliber. Anyways....

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They're good rifles. 1940s/1950s technology that is still fun to shoot. Some folks like to dump an extra thousand or two into them to make them into a precision platform that doesn't take constant tweeking to maintain accuracy on.

Me personally. I like them pretty close to stock, or in service rifle match form.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Another person dreaming of the M1A I see...

I'm saving for mine too. I'm probably at least a year away. Maybe more.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive owned 3 sold em all. I find them too clunky and big in any format. They ARE fun to shoot but the weight and extremely awkward balance isnt for me.

There is a reason the military ditched em like a hot potato with a grenade inside as soon as they could.

Top that with no way to really solidly mount a optic and all the tweeking and fiddling you have to do to keep it in running condition and its a rifle i have tried several times to like and keep failing to do it

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

M14sRock is the M1A guru around here. He has a bunch of them from mild - wild.
    He isn't a regular anymore,but still pops in every now and then.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had two M1A rifles (standard and Match) and an AR platform DPMS LR308 AP-4.

I still have the DPMS.

The M1A is solid, accurate, reliable platform. But for my taste, far too heavy for a 7.62 and the balance just "feels" all wrong to me.

Some folks really like 'em though.

If you get the chance, shoot both platforms before deciding.

7. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

I competed nationally with the M1A but am young enough that I never thought of the AR's as a "mousegun" and transitioned to them in High Power/Service Rifle. I did ask to be buried with my M1A... That becomes less and less likely as I do not intend on dying.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

well... death rate is 100% everyone gets one and one is enough for anyone.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i had one many years ago. in some ways i miss it, and in some ways i don't. even the standard version is very accurate. the recoil is very gentle, because it's a heavy rifle. fun to shoot? hell yeah! i'd like to have another one just because, but compared to what i gave for mine many years ago, they are kind of pricey.

10. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

in my opinion, the m14 is the best rifle ever designed. its civilian clone (m1a) is the same (just not capable of full auto).
    though weigt of it and its ammo led to it being replaced as the military's individual weapon, its robustness and longer range effectiveness were sacrificed. its viet nam era m21 version has been reintroduced into today's battlefield.

11. HankStone

HankStone New Member

For Combat the M-1 and the M-14 are were perfect weapons,with the adrenalin pumping,and constant carrying one doesn't have a problem with bulkiness,"in my" estimation the M-1a would not make a good hunting rifle with that bulk.

For a show your Butt off at the range the M-1 and M-1a,well it don't get no better.

I carried the them all for 12.5 years US ARMY and had confidence in them..

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

If my pansy ass can carry a SAW, and LOVE it, for my entire enlistment, that really says a lot about people who don't like the weight of the M1A as a combat rifle.

As Hank mentioned, hunting rifle is a different story (although I'll use mine as my every day "go-to" rifle). But to say it's too heavy for combat? Puhleeze.... We have troops BEGGING for it right now because of the longer range engagements in Afghanistan.

13. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

I've fired my cousins m1a socom and loved it. It's heavy if your used to ar's made out of aluminum. The weight is what keeps the beefy recoil down. I had a savings going for a .308 and found a good deal on an FAL. I don't regret buying the it over the m1a. It's an excellent weapon and love the adjustable gas block. Something about The Right Arm of the Free World just gets me. Maybe one day ill save up for an m1a.

14. HankStone

HankStone New Member

When in advanced Infantry School at 17 years of age,the ARMY made me one of the Squad BAR men,I thought I was going to die,carrying that railroad tie around on a forced march,my body built up and it was nothing after a few weeks of toting.

Not forgetting the butt end of a combat rifle,was meant to bash skulls in,and brains to flow out of,hence the heft of that weapon,not so with the M-16 BB Gun Mickey Mouse cluster ?I see you know your Sheeet trip287!

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I enjoyed the looks I got when we did "weapons PT" wind sprints and 5-10 mile runs.

I didn't use a sling. Hell, I was never issued a sling to begin with.

16. HankStone

HankStone New Member

I went in the ARMY in 1956 to 1968+ a few months,times change and them 5-10 mile quick time marches are but a memory same with endless bayonet drilling,but we did it!

17. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

It actually beat the M-14 in trials and they were rigged to force adoption of the US made gun. The FAL is a phenominal .308 even in full auto (best in that SAW role with a bipod).

18. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Trip got a field promotion!

My dad always believed in his day they'd find the smallest guy in a unit and give him the BAR. He had a BAR guy fall into a crater made by the softening artillary and he just could not climb out with his weapon but would not leave it behind. They had to go back and pull him out as a follow-up barrage stepped-up on them and almost got killed doing it.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i more often than not carried a M60. the problem i have in the weight arena is the weight vs capability issue. with the m60 its ability lay down the hurt in a superior fashion. that same weight to kick butt factor isnt there with the M1a.

in my opinion

20. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

It's an amazing rifle. Adopted by over 90 countries as standard military rifle. Looks like they F'd up back then. Anyone else heard that the US army just contracted FN for 100% of their M4s. No more colt, just wait for civilian prices to drop. Doesn't surprise me with FN supplying 70% of small arms to the US military and police already.