M1A Standard bayonet legality?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by 308Wins, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I'm not sure which category this should go in, my apologies!
    So I'm at a gun show yesterday, some nice stuff in there, but I didn't really see anything "for me". Then, bam-ba-dam... There's a bayonet marked to be for the M1A, so I went ahead and bought it! Couldn't help myself =).
    Now, to the question I've been wondering, is it legal to put a flash suppressor with a bayonet lug on it? And if not (god I hope not), can anyone give me instructions on how I slap it on?
    I still want to learn if its legal to have one in Florida before I put it on

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You're ok to do it in the gunshine state of Florida. They have no "Assault weapon" ban there.

3. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I don't suppose you got a shiny little link to show me? I do like me a tasty link every now and again.
    And also, what would be a decent place to get one?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

5. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I just like to double check everything before I do it. Usually...

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

No worries. It's always the safest bet. I just moved from the Florida/Georgia border. Lots of friends in both states who are gun enthusiasts. Did a lot of shooting in both states. Enjoyed the ability to outfit my ARs any way I saw fit with regard to flash hiders, lugs, grips, stocks, and even bayonets. I never put a bayonet on my M1A though. Too worried I'd end up causing problems with the match barrel.

7. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Got a Standard. I'd have to replace to flash suppresser with a Match flash suppresser, would those be interchangeable you think? That's all I've seen for sale so far, haven't looked far though. I'm eager to slap this sucker on!

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Brownells I a great source for gun parts and gun smith suplies

9. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

don't understand this concern of the government about bayonet lugs. I would assume, and this is just me, that making the act of bayoneting a person, is what they should probably be more concerned with, and leave collectors the right to collect things according to original designs, in spite of what that section of the populace that is so scared of appearances thinks. My 1842 Harper's Ferry has a bayonet lug, and I would not like to have it ground off on the whim of a non-elected bureaucrat.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

We do not need a legislature in sesssion more than a week or two every 4 or 5 years if we had four laws

Dont steal
    dont harm another
    dont kill another
    dont bear false witness

Pretty much covers every possible crime. Everything else is all about appearences and nanny stating especially where firearms and bayonets sre concerned. Gun laws are all about racism hate and jealousy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Midway USA has SA flash suppressors with the lug. Make sure you caliper the front sight location because it comes off in the process. YouTube has video. I did it on my M1A and no problem. Holding a battle rifle with bayonet is a formidable thing.
    The rifle is still accurate with the bayonet attached.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  12. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Thanks for the info, but I am way ahead of you here.:)