M1A Questions...

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

I had been planning to pick up an M1A in the near future...

I was set on going with a Standard or Loaded Springfield Armory M1A....even though they're hard as hell to find, haha.

I was offered an M1A with an Armscorp receiver, all other parts are USGI....also has 3 USGI mags and 200 rounds of surplus/match ammo for it...price can be discussed a little later, the follwoing questions need to be answered first...

Would this be a superior rifle to a Springfield Standard M1A....provided its in good used condition?

I don't know too much about any parts or whole rifles other than the ones made by Springfield.

Looking for any info you can offer. Thanks!!

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

PM M14's rock. He's really an expert on M1A's. I had an SA M1A Scout and I loved it.

3. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

You can buy any of them that suits your fancy, but you certainly won't go wrong with a Springfield.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

As far as the quality of the Armscorp vs. SAI, they are comparable. Each has an investment cast receiver.

However, the SAI has a lifetime guarantee and Armscorp is out of business.

New SAI rifles will not have USGI parts.

Was the Armscorp built by Armscorp, or did someone build it on a stripped receiver? Armscorp did use some Chinese parts on some of their rifles when the USGI stuff began drying up in the early '90s. Then a pile of Israeli surplus parts hit the market and they were USGI again.

I would suggest you have a reputable M14 armorer check it over for you. Where are you located? Pay attention to the headspace, throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I do not know what your budget is but have you looked at the LRB Arms rifles? They are the top of the line M14. And Smith Enterprise has announced they will be making receivers again (they have been using LRB for the last few years) and will have complete rifles too.

5. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Thanks for the info! I had another m14 nut (if I may call you that) tell me more or less the same stuff. Too confusing for my first M1A I think...

I have no idea about M14 armorers in my area (Las Vegas)

I guess I'll keep waiting around for a Springfield to pop up on the online, just keep things simple.

6. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Ordered a springfield Standard....

bahahaha, cant wait for it to arrive, hopefully next week.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Very cool. Did you get a new one, or a used one with some USGI parts?

8. SmokyBaer

SmokyBaer New Member

Love my Scout Squad!! :D
    Anxious to hear the range report on the Springfield Standard.

9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Can you get norinco M1a s down there ? I got mine for about $500.00 Cnd and put a few after market parts on it for another $200.00 like a milled guide rod Nm sights and a muzzel break and I get 1 MOA at 100 yards. The nice thing about them is that they are made with drop forged recivers not milled stock so they are stonger.I put a " Freds M14" stock on it $45.00 and this is way better than the Chinese " hard wood stock". I bought a book that tells how to acurize it. and for about $700.00 ihave a great M1A.
    From Fultron armoury you can also get a fake select fire lever thatfills the slot in the original stock.
    F.K.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

The ChiComs have not been imported here since about 1994. Some of the early ones suffered from poor heat treatment and had some "stretching" issues. And some of the bolts were really soft. But several companies do re-heat treating and USGI bolt conversions. The bad few gave the rest a bad reputation. The new ones you guys can get up north are excellent.

The other parts on the ChiComs are very good. One piece forged oprods, etc. Some metric threads, but no biggie. And their barrels rock.

11. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

There was a norinco for sale in town, 1000 bucks, I passed on it.

Took her out today and put about 100 rounds down range before i had to go to work.

I dont have pictures and I'll give a better report later in my other thread but, all I have to say is that it's hard to be inaccurate with these rifles! Even standing and fireing at like 2 second intervals i was EASILY keeping everything on paper.

When i was really trying and sitting i was getting about 1-2" groups at 100 yards...not bad for my first time ever firing this rifle.

12. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Way cool have fun with it.
    F.K.