M1A Question

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by saviorslegacy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I need advice from someone who owns/has experience with the M1A.
    I need to know if it is a good rifle. How often does it jam, is it hard to stay on target (kind of a dumb question but you never know), how rare is the ammo and what kind of groups are you getting with it?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

M14sRock is pretty much a local M1A expert. I have one and I love it, but he is much more experienced than me. All I can say is that .308 ammo is common, so that's a non-issue.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

used to own one

my opinion:

too heavy and clumsy for the round it shoots in the standard format. the springfield scout versions are better in this regard.

lots of muzzle jump. can be tamed with a good muzzle brake.

never had any jams was a very fun and reliable rifle.

the only reason i got rid of it was the weight/size issue.

.308 Winchester/7.62 NATO is a very common round with a large selection of hunting and target rounds

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

This is my M1A SOCOM.

[​IMG]

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just get one. You'll love it. ;)

I really liked my Scout and will replace it someday, the good Lord willing.

6. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

Hey Lon, what sight is that your have on there? I believe it is an Aimpoint, but not sure. How far out do you shoot with it?

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Aimpoint COMPM3....only had it out to about 150 so far, but highly recommended. Thanks, Scott!

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

As lonyaeger said M14sRock should chime in here soon and he is well versed in M14/M1A's.

In the meantime.....

I have a Springfield "Loaded" version with their Match barrel that has 1 in 11 twist and the oversize walnut stock. I've had this one since about the mid 90's. It weighs just under 11 lbs. without a loaded magazine. I don't have a problem with the weight, but maby thats just me. Actually I perfer this rifles weight. The M14/M1A is built like a brick shat house and will take quite a beating (dirt, heating etc...) and still perform well. I've put many thousands of rounds through this rifle without a hitch. The only times I had problems with jamming was when I was younger and dumber and bought and used cheap aftermarket magazines. Not the rifles fault. I only use USGI type, Springfield, and C.M.I. magzines now (mostly C.M.I.) since I got rid of the cheap unknown mags and can't recall ever a jam since then. There are other good magazines out there for this rifle but M14sRock will know more about that. My M1A will shoot 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yards. The M1A will shoot 7.62X51 NATO as well as .308 Win. Mine seems to like the 168 gr. FMJ and particularly the 175 gr. Federal Premium Sierra Match King factory ammo. I can pick up cheap .308 Win./7.62X51 NATO for around $9.00 per box of 20. I also reload for this rifle and use the 175 SMK's. A word here about bullet weight is in order. Don't use heavier than 175 grain bullets with the stock rifle gas system as they can and will damage the gas system of this rifle. The rifle's gas system, however, can be modified to use heavier than 175 grain ammo by a competent gunsmith versed in these type of service rifles.

Their rear iron sights are IMO the best ever designed. I've had mine scoped and have gone back to the iron sights. The scope can and will go back on from time to time. M14sRock will have good info for scope mounts as well. I also threw a Harris Bi-Pod on mine for prone position shooting.

The only complaints I've herd from some is it's weight and that it is awkward to handle. But again as I said above I don't consider the weight an issue, actually for me it's a plus, and this rifle fits me like a glove. I can't understand how anyone would find this rifle awkward to handle. Oh well maby it's just me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

just personal preference. they are good rifles. i just dont like the feel. that doesnt make them bad. if i was going to pick a box fed autoloader chambered in 7.62 nato it would be the m1a.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. Personal preference is a key factor in selection of a firearm. Individual ergonomics and such paly a key factor for a proper "fit" for a firearm. I myself have trouble with lighter / shorter rifles and I guess it's because of my build and personal experience good or bad. I'm kind of a knuckle dragger when it comes to pull length. It's not that I'm tall but I have a long torso and arms that would go along with that of a somewhat taller person. I think this is why this rifle fits me so well.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Late to the party again.

Is it a good rifle? As far as an "all around rifle" it is hard to beat a good M14.

It is "AK reliable". I run several thousand rounds a year through my M14's and the only malfunctions (2) I have ever had were due to a crappy scope mount I was testing that caused a failure to eject ONE empty case. The other malfunction was due to pilot error. After cleaning I had failed to tighten down the gas plug, allowing a gas leak. This caused a "short stroke" malfunction. Figured out the problem in about 1.5 seconds and had it fixed in another 5.

When the South African 7.62x51 ammo was available for $17 per battle pack I would run 3+ BP's through my standard M1A every weekend. It ate that up and never hiccuped, in over a year. I only stopped when the SA skyrocketted in price. I still have about a dozen cases of SA, but it is being saved for a rainy day.

Most malfunctions will be caused by magazines. Use CMI's and you will not have any problems. CMI has been the ONLY M14 mag supplier to the US Military since the early '80's. They also make the magazines for Springfield Armory. Original USGI Mags are now being counterfeited, so buying CMI's from 44Mag.com is your best bet.

Any of my M14's will hold around 1.5MOA(with the ammo they like), but some will do about 1/3 that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I find the standard M14 to be one of the most ergonomic, intuitive to operate rifles available. Recoil is completely manageable and muzzle flip is not a problem. But the Smith Enterprise Coast Guard muzzle break and the JP break are outstanding.

If you want to scope one, the easiest mount to use is the Bassett Machine. But the LRB M25 receiver cures scope mounting issues by having integrated scope mounts on the receiver. Smith Ent, Sadlak, SAI 4th Gen and a few other mounts are also excellent.

I've owned just about every battle rifle (except the SigAMT) and carbine that ever made it onto the market in the US, and I find a good M14 to be superior to all of them (if you want a single, do anything rifle).

If you have the cash get an LRB. But the SAI M1A can be had for about $1400, new, and has a lifetime guarantee. Buy a couple of spare USGI (or Beretta/M1 Garand) extractors and you should be good to go.

The M14 has the best sights ever used on a battle rifle, and the trigger can be easily made to break like a glass rod.

The M14 is a rifleman's rifle.