m1a or ar .308?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by byemorammo, Dec 9, 2011.

1. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

What would be a "better" rifle, an M1A or an AR .308?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

IMHO I wouldn't.. But that's just me a m1a to me would be more valuable to have

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

what dont you like about your m1a??

when i get rid of a gun its for reasons personal to me. i cat tell ya what to do. i think you need to asses what you expect out of your m1a and then assess whether or not it meets enough of those criteria for your tastes

4. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

M1a or AR .308

Its not that I dont like my M1A, Im just thinking that I like the ergonomics of the AR format and the ability to reload quicker with the AR than the M1A.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

Its not that I dont like my M1A, I just like the ergonomics of the AR format and the ability to do quicker reloads with the AR.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

those are concrete reasons but no one can tell ya if its enough to make up your mind. the AR 308s are great shooters. most of the big names are very accurate

7. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

Thanks for the info.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you do go 308 AR, the rra ones use fal magazines both the inch and metric mags work in it are fairly cheap and plentiful.

just something to think about. i think a few other brands use the fal mags too.

you might try posting in the AR15 subforum for opinions on the AR308. you might get better eyes than mine on your question

9. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

Having had both, in my mind they are not even in the same ball park, a standard M1a will put a high end RRA AR10 to shame any day of the week. Function and Precision both go the M1a, the Ar10 has more options for add ons but if you want a 30 cal battle rifle you would better off to pass on the AR10 and stick with something time tested rather then buying "the answer to need that no one has"(ar10).

10. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

sounds like I need more time to think about this.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

The M14/M1A and AR are two very different rifles, even if the AR is chambered for .308. The M1A is one of the great classic battlerifles. It is longer, heavier and handles a lot different than the AR. People who own M14s/M1As love them for what they are; they don't see them as just a semi-auto rifle that shoots .308. If you like the AR for its lighter weight and easier handling you might want to consider getting a regular version of the AR-15 in .223. Both rifles are fun to shoot but very different. Personally I think the M1A is a much better way to go for shooting .308 but it is your money and your choice.

12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

13. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

There are alot M14 "sniper" rifles in service today plus 1000s of SPR rifles in 5.56. The m110 is yet another impressive weapon for our snipers but from what the OP posted I dont see him buying a SR-M110 but rather a DPMS, RRA or Armalite version of the AR10. We are talking about many many dollars differance. While RRA is making a good name for themselves I dont see the AR10 platform as better then the M1a /M14s at this point. You do have to give Knights Arm. Credit though they produced something that works well.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, i like the M1A n 308 having had one years ago, just really loved that rifle. i now have a Bushmaster M4A2 in 5.56 and i really like it too, fun to shoot. i have not had the chance to shoot the 308 in an AR platform rifle, but if i had my choice i would probably buy another M1A in 308. i'm not saying it's better, just that i like it better for the 308. just my personal preference.

15. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

The AR10 is I understand the ORIGINAL from which the AR15-16s were designed. The AR10 had some use but IIRC no major power adopted it, favoring instead the FAL, HK and of course the M14. Then came the rapid transition to the M-16 series. Never had the opportunity to use the AR10 but certainly have experience with the M1 and it's still-born step-child the M-14/M1A. IF the AR10 functions and carried like the 16 it's a doggone good rifle. So is the 14.. a real RIFLE with some bite to it and probably the only battle rifle I will need in this world. Just holding it and shouldering it screams "RIFLE!" and I've used mine enuff to know how it works in my sleep. Younger guys might feel differently, YMMV.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

MrM4s avatar has got me a thinking too.
    Now what were we talking about?

17. sheepdog1010

sheepdog1010 New Member

M1a if you've got the $ for it

18. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

They might have been designed about the same time but they remain very different rifles. They don't look like each other or feel like each other, not even close. They handle very differently. Both are very fine rifles.

19. hosehead634

hosehead634 New Member

I have a SA scout rifle and a LMT MWS (AR-10 platform) just to back what everyone else is saying they are two completely different rifles. That being said the MWS shoot lights out and can hold its own against most bolt rifles. I can see why Britain chose them for their new DMR.

20. byemorammo

byemorammo New Member

What about reliability in extended shooting sessions?