M1A oper rod & bolt

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by 25-5, Jul 19, 2012.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

M1A Nat. Match. A notice to not remove stock unless absolutely necessary. So can I get the operating rod and bolt out to lube the parts? Can I get at the spring and rod guide? How far can I go with the stock on?
    Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

This may help.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vEcynF9Ruk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

3. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have a Springfield NM M1A. The manual says to not remove the action from the bedded stock if it can be avoided. I remove the action and barrel from the stock about once per year to completely field strip it for cleaning and lubing. In between I am pretty meticulous about cleaning my rifle after each firing session. The action and barrel can be safely removed if you do it right and are very careful. The op rod guide can be lubed without removing the barrel from the stock. You can do it by using an extension tube with your lube to reach the op rod guide from the outside. Using a flashlight helps. I use a synthetic product made by Energy Release called Gear and Chain Clear Grease. It is an aerosol lube that comes out as a liquid, and quickly turns to a clear grease. It adheres to the metal surfaces of my rifle better than any product I have tried. It is especially good for lubricating the bolt roller.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks! I knew the operating rod and bolt roller needed grease, just didn't know how. Once a year did not seem enough. And, damn, I never thought to use a flashlight. a big help BT.