M1A as a marksman's rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Apr 26, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Say I wanted to put together a, for lack of a better word, 'sniper' rifle. Would the M1A be a good choice? I'm not looking for a .5 MOA rifle, just something to punch holes in paper and shoot some targets at 3-400 yards, 5-600 max, maybe take the occasional deer. If I didn't want to spend a fortune and still have a nice accurate rifle would this be a reasonable choice? I know bolt guns are more accurate and normally cheaper but theres just something about an M14. I would like not to be in it over $1500 if possible. With say, a
    SWFA SS or comparable scope.

I'd like any opinions.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the M1A in 308 is an excellent rifle and has been used in the M14 version as a sniper rifle. it is very accurate for a semi auto type rifle. Carlos Hathcock the famous Marine Corps sniper used one at Camp Perry to win a 1000 yard competition with open sights back in the early 60's.

it's not a cheap rifle though. new they are in the $1400-2000 range depending on which one you get. plus adding a decent scope and mount, it will definately go over $1500. if you could find a decent one used, you might be able to get under $1500 with a scope and mount, but finding one could be hard right now.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Two sources for parts:

Buymilsurp dot kom

Sarcoinc dot kom

Sounds great! Post some perforated targets.

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

My opinion might be biased, but I think the M1A would be a great choice for a "marksman's" rifle. There is a lot you can do with one. I have the SA NM version.

Attached Files:

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

We all used the for competition and they were only fairly recently (my lifetime) replaced by "mouseguns." Free float the barrel and put National Match sights or a decent scope on it, polish the trigger, get or load great ammo, and you're good to go.

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Yep, there is a lot you can do with them.

7. frito

frito New Member

I love my M1A. Shoots great with open sights. I did try to mount a scope, but couldn't ever get decent check weld.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Cheek weld -- yes. The old GI MRT Garand/M-14 lace-on leather stock attachments with felt inserts sorta help. A tad.