M1917 Eddystone - To Good?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by AnotherHenryBowman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. AnotherHenryBowman

AnotherHenryBowman New Member

I came across an Eddystone M1917 this weekend in what seemed to be like-new condition. It was blued, with minimal wear (typical places: top of sight, magazine floor plate). Some of the bluing almost had a heat-treated quality to it – varying shades of blue. All markings are crisp, and there are no import markings on it.

While the metal looked good, the stock (also Eddystone) had a couple of odd-looking wood patches/plug fixes on it. It seems to have and original 1918 barrel on it. I understand that the original M1917’s were blued and subsequent rebuilds were parkarized, seems strange that this piece with metal this good would have had/needed the stock fixed. Stock aside, it’s one of those things that looks so good it makes me suspicious!

2. string1946

string1946 New Member

It does sound too good to be for real but who knows. Just about every part on it should be marked as to maker (R, E, W) so I would look at as many of those as possible. http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm If it was arsenal rebuilt the the parts really shouldn't match as they were just tossed in bins as they came apart and were reassambled the same way. Can you get some pictures to post so we can all have a look? Here are a few pictures of mine for you to compare with. Mine is a mix on Eddystone and Remington parts.

Attached Files:

3. AnotherHenryBowman

RE the pics: it's the owner's house - which I won’t be able to get back to or a while, so no pics for now at least. I did not disassemble it but for taking the bolt out - but I did not notice any parts ~not~ marked as Eddystone. Again, I want to believe, but…

4. AnotherHenryBowman

By the way string1946, looks like a pretty nice rifle you have!

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thank you. I guess its possible it was just never issued and is still factory fresh and if it is that would be quite a find. According to the 7th edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, the original finish would have been a "Matte Blue". Hopefully some other members can give you more things for you to look for. Good luck and I hope its the real thing and you take it home.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

OT

[​IMG]

Having never handled one of those beautiful rifles, I have to wonder if the rear sight inspired the later pistol sight by Smith & Wesson.

7. 1563621

1563621 New Member

String 46, Nice and clean bench you have there, And a nice 17!!

8. 1563621

1563621 New Member

My bench, I have to focus on the item. If I stand back too far. OMG!!

Attached Files:

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks. The only way I can keep my bench looking neat is to keep making it bigger so I can spread the stuff out. I have two sides of a square already so I figure it won't be long before I have myself compeletely boxed in.

Attached Files:

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Jesus String I am jealous! I would buy dang near any eddystone I come across I love those rifles lol

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks. I have a pattern 14 that is in almost as good shape and they make a nice pair. I spend a lot of my time at that bench and vault and the path in between.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014