M16a1

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TimL2952, May 26, 2012.

1. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Well, my next gun is will be my first handgun...but I'm already planning ahead.

I'd like an AR, but what I'd REALLY like is an m16a1...I know a Colt M16a1 is out of the question, and I know some companies make "part kits" for them, but I'm not sure on the quality.

So my question to you all is, Where can I find an m16a1 type rifle that isn't ridiculously expensive? Are there any reproductions or clones? Or is it just possible to place the triangular hand grips on let's say a Stag ar 15?? :eek:

[​IMG]

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I researched this a while back. You can do a kit or get your receivers from Nodak and barrel from Bushmaster. From what I can remember BM is the only one that makes a barrel w/ the correct profile.

www.m4carbine.net has a great vintage section.

3. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Thanks for the advice Mike.

I'm gonna look for some reviews/opinions on the kits. Alot of them don't have markings or anything but are still Mil Spec...just curious who makes them...maybe Chinese or Korean or something...who knows lol

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Of course you will not be able to build your own M16A1 unless you find a ridiculously overpriced registered lower. Most folks that want a retro look AR build their own. Parts are available.

5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

That slipped my mind. "SP1" is probably a good thing to search for.

Edit: I spent a lot of time om this site while researching a SP1 and a XM177. http://retroblackrifle.com/

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  6. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

That's what I'm gettin at. I'm mostly just looking for the parts to make an AR look like the a1. Not building a legit a1

7. sniperrifleman

sniperrifleman New Member

You would need a triangular handguard a three prong flash hider and a teardrop for the button that stinks out under the back sight. Almost forgot the 20 round magazine

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I qualified with the old M16A1 in Army Basic Training too! It did just fine and once I had it zero'd at 25m I had no problem hitting the pop-up targets using irons out to 300m. Those old guns were 1:12 twist barrels, but I think if I was building a retro these days I'd consider using at least a 1:9 twist barrel and that will give you some more versitility in ammo choices.

BTW, here's the link to AR15.com's Retro Forum. It has vast amounts of info. for doing what you want:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_AR_15___M_16_Retro_Forum.html

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The amazing thing is the 20" a1 i think is a better balanced rifle than the m4 carbine. Its a faster pointer.

Ive got a colt sp1 they are chambered in 223 and not chrome lined. The sp1 is more of a clone of the m16 than the a1.