M16 Multi-cal & ATF Paperwork

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by ahhclem, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ahhclem

ahhclem New Member

Hi:

Is there an "official" ATF rule that addresses the need to notify ATF if you add a 9 mm upper to a registered M16 or have multiple barrel assemblies with different barrel lengths? I have been told there is no requirement to notify ATF if you buy a 9 mm upper that can be switched out with the 5.56 upper. My gun is on a Form 5 as 5.56 mm with a 16" barrel. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....David

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Your answer can ONLY be found here:

3. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

IMHO - no registration for multiple uppers is required.

4. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

Some day I will understand...

I will never for the life of me understand why on earth, much less in the United States of America, figure out why we need a permit or any other thing to exercise an Unalienable right.

That said? Yes, I do believe that you need a new tax tag for any major modification, and, yes, that would be a major change...

Check with a lawyer...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

If it's already a registered full auto class 3, you can swap calibers, uppers and barrel lengths without any further notification or "permission" from BATFE.

6. DonnyKC

DonnyKC New Member

isnt the only thing registered the lower?

7. RFly2Dive

RFly2Dive New Member

My only concern is if the upper for your M16 had a barrel under 16" (regardless of caliber) and the owner of the M16 also possessed a semiauto AR15 that would also allow that upper to fit it would this constitute possession of an unregistered SBR in the eyes of the BATFE? After all we are dealing with an agency that in the past has ruled that mere possession of certain parts constitutes owning an illegal MG.
    My answer was to sell my AR15 after I took possession of my Colt M16 to avoid having to answer this very question.

Attached Files: