M14 Price

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Sibil, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Sibil

Sibil New Member

Im not considering a M14 but why the price is so high?, comparing to others rifle in that category, what make special this rifle?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Erm...because theyre freaking amazing.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Got a few hundred thru my M1A (M14). My rifles have always been bolt action This new world is a gas. What a battle rifle.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

spend some time at the range with one, then you will understand!:D

owned a M1A many years ago, and it's one of the few that i ever regret getting rid of. i would trade my AR for an M1A in a second!:eek:

5. gearguy

gearguy New Member

I picked up my uncle's M14 standard and was on steel at 400 open sights in the first five shots. They are amazing.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i asked the same question on another forum.

i'm sure they are amazing....but i still don't understand the high price myself.

does wood, plastic, or steel cost more to assemble an m-14 vs a different rifle? the answer may be "higher quality/craftsmanship," but i never got real proof that proved this was the case. AND as a bonus....you get very expensive ammo! :p

that being said, you RARELY hear bad things about them.

i would love to own an m-14/m1a, but the gun has "priced itself out" as far as i'm concerned. i'll live with my mini 14 at about 1/3 the price.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It is in the manufacturing cost to some degree. Milled, forged steel (or even well made cast) receivers with complex angles are kind of expensive to make. The intermediate piston and operating rod, the trigger mechanism, the sights are all a bit more complex in machining than some more modern designs.

Then barrel fitting headspacing, stock making, and more involved in hand assembly.

$1200ish for a stock standard model at the local shop by me isn't too crazy a price, compared to ARs.

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

You hit the bullseye. Labor is why. Time= money.

9. Rarity

Rarity New Member

It's a great rifle, and a very reliable one.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a very good rifle. I have owned a National Match version in the past.

But in my opinion, the AR-10 platform is far superior, and less expensive.

I currently have a DPMS LR308 AP4. I am completely satisfied with it.

11. 75370

75370 New Member

Here's mine, I had mine fitted with a Picatinnay rail, the reason why??
    [​IMG]
    Because of this.............
    [​IMG]

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Very nice! Handloads?

13. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

They are a pleasure to shoot. They are also easy enough to maintain. I get a special thrill out of shooting this one. I especially like bouncing a pop can around via rapid-fire at 100 yards.

For those of you who are not familiar with these rifles, do not EVER confuse M-14 with ""Mini 14". Some of us get a little irritated when we hear this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The "Mini-14" only resembles the M-14/M1A on a cosmetic level. The M1A is an expensive rifle to produce which is one reason the US was willing to abandon it as a service rifle.

15. 75370

75370 New Member

Yes, I use 42 grs. of Vihitavouri N-135, Nosler Custom Comp 168 gr. bullets and CCI Benchrest primers with a well prepped case.

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

if you just look at the price tag, you should never confuse an m-14/m1a with a mini 14. :p don't get "snooty" now.....;)

i would love an m-14/m1a. but i have still never managed to justify the price myself, and i've never really heard a strong argument from anyone that justifies it either. i bought BOTH my mini 14 and AR-15 for less than ONE quality M1A/M-14. that kinda leaves you scratching your head as to why?.....:confused: hard for me to part with $1500-2500, when you can buy 2-5 quality firearms for the same price range (example, you could have an AR-15 (700-800), shotgun(200-400), and bolt action 308(300-500) for about an equal price).

***but...bottom line, if the BUYER thinks its worth it....its all good!***

and they are bad @ss, no doubt. honestly, i'm probably just jealous....:)

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

We amy also not want to confuse M1As with M14s. M14s do have a selector switch and finding and buying a transferable one after going through the paperwork and paying for the tax stamp, will set you back much more than $2500.

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I've wanted an M14 since I was 12, and I still want one. I've come close to getting an M1A on several occasions since that's the closest I'll get to an M14. I even tried to have an M1A loaded ordered a couple of weeks ago but my local gun shop couldn't get one through their dealer. But I have to admit that I do have a hard time with the price. I believe the gun is worth the price. It is considerably more to manufacture than most guns including the mini14, which I do have, but it also costs more to manufacture than most other guns.

The thing I have a hard time with isn't so much the price because that gun as manufactured does cost more. I have a hard time justifying my getting that gun. I just don't need that gun that badly. But I will eventually get one (very soon).

The one thing I try to keep in mind is that quality costs more. That doesn't mean other guns that cost less don't function great. I love my mini14 and it has performed flawlessly. But quality isn't all function. Quality is going beyond the minimum necessary for function. :)

19. 75370

75370 New Member

Well said TLuker!!!

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my opinion, but I believe that most .308s on the AR-10 platform are of equal quality to the M1A.

But they are more modern designs, and therefore easier, and less expensive to manufacture. ( again, time=money) My LR 308-MP4 weighs several pounds less than the M1A I had previously, but shoots just as well and is just as reliable. And it's far, far easier to maintain, especially in the field.