M130 Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jd45, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jd45

jd45 New Member

Anybody ever heard of this? I talked to a guy at the range today who said it was a small .30 caliber issued to troops not going into combat, which sounded very strange to me. I tried lookin it up on the net but drew a blank. I'd appreciate a little help, maybe including a pic? Thanx, jd45

2. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

he probably meant the M1 carbine, that's the only .30 caliber small gun I can think of

3. jd45

jd45 New Member

Could be. You put a dash between the 1 & the 3 & there you go. There's a lot of guys out there who don't know the proper nomenclature for identifying a military firearm. Thanx, jd45

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I think 1 you are correct. What he was evidently referring to was the M-1 30 Cal. Carbine..
    (M1-30) no doubt!

5. jd45

jd45 New Member

BTW, and I've talked to guys who did use it in combat, that it was a POS as an effective stopper-battle weapon, unless of course you managed to hit your opponent in the head. jd45

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Some of them were made into M-2's,..Select Fire. an old friend of mine was a Huey Door Gunner had one as one of his Personal Weapons...I'll look for a pic,..but I remember his was Blonde Stocked...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. jd45

jd45 New Member

I remember seein Korean War newsreel footage of an infantryman firin one of those 2's on full auto. Burned thru the whole mag before you could spit! Jeff Cooper suggested re-chambering those in a heavier caliber, such as .44MAG or something like that, which was before Ruger got the idea of building their own. jd45

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The cartridge should have been a rimless version of the 357 mag. My brother was issued one as a combat engineer in Korea. He used it one time and got rid of it. He got a Thompson.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  9. DrFootball

My Dad was in the Arty. He was a Battery Sgt. On 155"long Toms" his unit was issued them until he Pitched a fit, then they got Tompsons...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. hardrock

hardrock New Member

Don't underestimate the M1 carbine:

11. jd45

jd45 New Member

Tell me why it shouldn't be underestimated Hardrock. I mean it is possible to kill someone with a weapon firing the .22LR cartridge. Where the rubber meets the road is the degree of effectiveness the cartridge has in stopping your enemy from coming & stopping him from shooting. I don't have the personal experience, but like I said, the people I've talked to who have used it said the .30 Carbine cartridge just doesn't measure up to the task. And believe me, I'm not trying to start an argument here. jd45

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

To put the .30 carbine in perspective, it was INTENDED to be a replacement for the PISTOL for troops that we not using it as their primary weapon, such as tankers, cannoneers, MG crews, Infantry officers etc. However, with little weight, compact size, it was used by more and more people.

The carbine was intended for a 300 meter max effective range, with a ME of 967 ft·lb. The M2 was fielded in late WW 2.

While that is not a lot for a rifle, it is a large step up from a pistol

13. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And you got that right jd45, that`s why it is up to us to show them the error of their ways !.................
    United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1 is the proper nomenclature.
    That is probably what he was talking about..........

14. jd45

jd45 New Member

I agree wholeheartedly Tom. Actually I myself wouldn't have known how to state it correctly, as you did. Thanx for the enlightenment. BTW, is that .303 British ammo in your avatar? My brother's got a sporterized SMLE Jungle Carbine, and in spite of its bore pitting, it groups well @ 100YDS. Have not shot it beyond that range, but an older fella said I could expect pretty much the same group out to 200YDS, if I do my part. This is off the bench of course. jd45

15. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Between a .45 caliber M1911 pistol and a .30 caliber M1 carbine, I'd take the M1 carbine over the M1911 any day if those were my choices.

You have to put things into perspective. That was the best general purpose weapon America had at the time.

16. jd45

jd45 New Member

I wouldn't disagree with that statement. The guns were deliberately built with looser tolerances to allow them to function in extreme conditions, making the GI 1911's max effective range probably 50YDS at best. That's just a guess on my part, tho. With the Carbine you could at least slow the other guy down a lot farther out if you didn't kill him outright. Just speculation....I've never been in combat with firearms or anything else for that matter. jd45

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO, it is a clip full +1 of 7.7x56R.................LOL

18. jd45

jd45 New Member

Uuuuuuuhhh, I knew that! jd45

19. DrFootball

Excel Arms makes a Pistol in 30 Carbine

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Doc, the .30 carbine has been used for handguns made by Kimball, Iver Johnson, Ruger, Taurus and others. Muzzle blast is painfully excessive. Except for the IJ Enforcer, auto pistols do not hold up well in that caliber.