M1 history/value

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by jcooley6960, May 11, 2013.

1. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

Can anyone tell about this rifle? History what the markings mean and maybe a value? Sorry about the pictures my phone has trouble focusing but the barrel says nderwood I know that it means underwood but there is definitely not a u on it and it also says 2-44 which is a man. Date ?

Attached Files:

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Look under the rear sight. The name of the guns original manufacturer will be stamped there. The barrels were often replaced with any available barrel.:)

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm still learning these things but I'm fairly certain that the 2-44 is the date of manufacture.

It also appears that it has the type one barrel band and safety. If these are authentic parts, it boosts the value. I looks to me like that rifle is all WWII except for the rear sight, if it were mine, I would put an original sight on it. The correct WWII rifles are generally more desired and more valuable.

But that's just me.

As for a value, that's not really my field, as I think most carbines are overpriced.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

AAY denotes Augusta Arsenal rebuild. The rear sight was a later addition. Look under the rear sight for the manufacturers ID. This is a typical post war parts gun. :)

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

M1 carbine DOM.jpg

Sorry about size.

6. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

Hey thanks for all the info what can I do to make this rifle more authentic make put up a link for parts I know the rear sight needs to be replaced but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member