M1 Garand

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by JonM, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

got rid of my remington 700 xcr today and picked up a shooter mixed parts m1 garand. rear sight needs to be reworked but the barrel gauges 2.5ish and the op-rod is straight. everything looks good on it cept the sights which are replacements. all the parts seem to be SA marked. i would say its fair condition but i intend to use it as a shooter as im not much on collectors pieces too pricey a gun to have fun with. its a springfield armory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very nice. Change the springs and go shoot that thing. And it looks like about a mid 1943, with the orig forged trigger group.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya its not bad but its no pristine rifle for sure :) the rear sight assembly innards needs replacement so its going to be a bit before i take it to the range.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Looks like an orig bar-lock sight? Hard to tell in the pics. Does it just spin? Have you taken the sight apart? Check to see what is stripped.

How are you set on clips?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

it just spins i think something is stripped as the screw holding the windage knob in is broken. looks like it wasnt put together correctly over-tightened and broke.

[​IMG]

broken bit it looks

[​IMG]

got two clips or should i say magazines heh. its enough for now ill put an order for some from whicher place i find a rear ight assembly. been loading it and listening to it go PING!! pretty fun.

shoulda got one of these a long time ago.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ill detail strip it tomorrow and take some close up pics im off to bed for now

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations Jon, I'm glad you found one.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Check RA Parts for an original bar lock.

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

First the M1A and now the M1, woo-hoo, you are doing great! Now you need a Springfield 1903! Here are my three Springers!

Attached Files:

10. FirstSergeant

FirstSergeant New Member

Nice! I love my 1943 Springfield

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've got a 1903a3 its remington made. Also have an m1 carbine but its barrel is pretty worn and it needs all its springs replaced.

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Wolf Springs makes a set of carbine springs that make them work like new. And I think NIW carbine barrels are still avail. Carbine ammo was not corrosive so the barrels are not replaced as often as Garand barrels.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya wolf makes em. i just havent got round to doing it since i dont shoot it all that much anymore. its a General Motors made carbine dating 1944ish. ive run a ton of ammo thru it over the years but cheap 30carbine isnt common anymore. used to hunt rabbit with it from time to time :)

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

got a link to the RA parts source?? i cant find it with google.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

here is a close up of the parts in question.

[​IMG]

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

RA Parts

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks!! Not sure why that didn't occur to me.

18. ScottG

ScottG New Member

No, clip is correct in this case. The En-bloc clip is used in the Garand....

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ya those little 8 round magazines are cure as hell when they come SPROINGING!! Out of the reciever when its empty.