M1 Garand Purchase

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Mick3411, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I am looking to purchase my first M1 Garand through CMP in the next few weeks. I am a complete newbe on the M1 so would appreciate any pointers. I was looking at both the Service and Special Grade rifles. I wont be putting the rifle on display, do plan on shooting it - but not in competition, and have no real requirement other than wanting one. With that as background, would you recommend Service or Special Grade? What other pointers to look for?

Mick

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't put just any ammo through it. Get some garand surplus, or buy ammo made for garands like American eagle. Too hot of a load will bend the op rod. This might be true with heavy bullets, not sure.

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Sure sorry I didn't buy one many years ago.
    Loved the ones I carried while in the Army.

4. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Where do you live? Close enough to go to either the North or South store and select your rifle in person? If so, I believe the attendants will help you make a good selection if you ask them. I was at the North store about 2 months ago and it had a pretty good selection to pick from. Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting and handling your Garand.

5. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I am close to the north store. I wasn't planning on going in person but will now

6. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Don't forget to take proof of US citizenship, marksmanship training, and membership in an affiliated club.

7. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I have all the paperwork in. Just waiting on funds

8. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

What are the requirements for a CMP Garand?

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you are 60 or older you do not need the marksmanship Info. You must belong to a CMP approved club. I plan to go to the South store and pick up a rifle. The store? It is 2,000 miles east of me.:)

10. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Is the NRA a approved club? I'm about 80 miles from the South store in Anniston

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No the NRA is not a gun club. You can belong to your state NRA Shooting Assoc. it should be CMP approved. You can go the Web and join the Garand Owners group it $25 bucks. The CMP Web page will tell you by state which clubs are CMP approved. Your CCW will clear your marksmanship approval.:)

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

So my pistol permit could pass as my marksman certification?

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes, but you need to read your CMP rules on their web page. The South store has motel discounts for out of towners. I like visiting that part of Alabama great place.;)

14. Orlando

Orlando New Member

M1 Collectors Club is only $14 for a full year and fullfills club requirements

15. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I just joined the Garand Collectors Sunday, $25 well spend, it said I get like 4 magazines/catalogs an a card and stuff. Thanks all

16. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

How long does it usually take to get the card and info from the GCA?

17. Orlando

Orlando New Member

The GCA and M1 Collectors Club will forward your club info directly to CMP if you check the box on the sign up forum