M1 carbine

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by papaj1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. papaj1

papaj1 New Member

Can the year of manufacture be determined by the serial number.If so,how can I look it up?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you mean a US military M1 Carbine, yes- there were blocks of serial numers assigned to different makers. If you mean a civilian version, like a Planfield or Universal- yer own your own, dude.

Here are the blocks assigned and dates-

carbine%20numbers.jpg

3. Strike_Hard_Gear

Strike_Hard_Gear New Member

Thanks for posting the chart looks like my inland was made in the spring of '44 about the sametime as my Garand. Too bad there isn't a paper trail available of where they went and the units they were assigned to. Although I have mental images of my carbine on Iwo Jima and Korea, it was probably sitting in a national guard arms room.

4. c3shooter

Don't be too sure about that. In the Spring of '44, a lot of the National Guard was getting ready to go ashore at Omaha Beach.

5. jismail

jismail Member

Do you have the info for the rest of the mfgs? I have a Standard Products and would like to see it's birth information.

6. papaj1

papaj1 New Member

Thanks for your input.

7. c3shooter

Jismail- all military carbines were made during WW 2 in a very short time period. I THINK yours was 1944, but I cannot nail it down beyond that.
    STANDARD PRODUCTS

TOTAL CARBINES PRODUCED: 247,100

SERIAL NUMBER RANGE
    1,982,520-2,352,519

8. Clem

Clem New Member

Bedford, VA, had the highest casualty rate per capita on D-Day because a locally raised National Guard outfit hit Omaha beach and took some hits. They have a huge outdoor memorial for those guys.