Firearms Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,412 Posts
I recently sent a Ruger American Rimfire back and they sent an explanation and test target.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I doubt they will include a statement on what was fixed. I sent a few firearms back to the manufacturer because of issues, ie. CETME, Bulgarian SLR106UR and they didn't include anything about what they fixed, they just fixed it so it works.

Kahr did send me a report with the rifle saying they replaced the hammer and sear and test-fired 4 full magazines without issue. So I will be putting it through my own tests when I get time to shoot.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Been putting lots of rounds downrange with the gun since it came back and haven't had a single problem.

My two boys were home this weekend (23 & 26) and I let them have at the carbine...and they thought it was one of the sweetest shooters they've ever fired.

I'd rank it with the AK-74 5.45 in terms of a pleasant trigger-pull experience.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Nice to hear that all's well, with the rifle.

Love the balance, recoil and feel of the M1 Carbine. I'd agree it's right up there in terms of "pleasant trigger-pull experience."

Top of the list is a custom Mauser rifle that a guy had at the range, one day. That thing had been massaged by his wizard Gunsmith. Perfect balance, accurate as anything. I was in heaven for the few rounds I shot out of it. Every shot put a smile on my face. The M1 Carbine's a close second, overall.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
A little "heads up" is in order. Back in the day, a company in Missouri sold M-1 carbines made up with surplus parts and newly-manufactured receivers. When they ran out of GI barrels, they used 1903 barrels shortened and turned down as well as other short-cuts. Fajen made an assortment of classy sporter stocks pretty inexpensively so folks could put together custom outfits that looked really good.

I had one of these for decades. Didn't shoot it a whole lot but when I got it out and did so, the slide started sticking when recoiled. Major problem was lack of proper heat-treating. Some were really soft, others cracked. The way to tell these apart isn't always the barrel for many were made up using original carbine barrels, it's the marking behind the rear sight. There is a stamping on the receiver hidden by the stock with the company name (which eludes me at the moment).

When production ceased, remaining parts were sold off. If you run across a carbine lacking the typical "I.B.M., Winchester, International Harvester, etc." it may well be one of these.

They are junk.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Still considering...Kahr/Auto Ordnance versus Fulton Armory. Fulton is about 50% more, but fully interchangeable with USGI parts and seems to be a quality piece, essentially hand-made. This would likely be my last firearm purchase if I do it at all. Do I need it? No. Already have four non-.22 carbines (including a USGI M1 Carbine) and a PCC. But I love the platform and don't want to wear out my genuine War Baby - one that was my Dad's.

If Ruger made a Mini in .30 CAL Carbine, I would buy one in an instant. Even a PCC in that caliber.

Sheriff, thanks for the "heads-up".

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got an AO M1 Carbine back in October 2020, used. Really like the gun but have had a few failures to feed/eject. The mags that came with it were not AO mags, but Korean.

What I was seeing was there was a lot of play side-to-side in the mags, resulting in the round on the right (looking forward) seemed to be dipping down far enough that the bolt wasn't picking it up. I put a layer of electrical tape on the sides of the mags to help stabilize them and it seemed to help but not entirely fix the problem. I called Kahr and the tech said to "Buy their mags". I did buy 4 and so far it has helped, but again not entirely fixed the issue, getting a problem maybe every other mag. Only ammo I've shot thru it was that bulk Korean ammo SGAmmo and others have been offering, but recently got some new ammo to try. Hopefully the new stuff (can't recall the brand) will solve the issue. Even if it doesn't I'll continue shooting the carbine and just live with it because I really enjoy shooting it.

Here's a photo with the 30rnd mag that came with it. The 30rnd mag doesn't give me as many issues as the 2 15rnd Korean mags I bought afterwards:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Small update on the AO Carbine. Shot it last Friday using the new OEM mags and Freedom Munitions ammo, ran great. Only had 100rnds of the new Freedom Munitions ammo so I saved 1/2 a box and went back to the Korean bulk ammo, started having failures to eject first mag. Plus it's dirty ammo. My problem is I still have several hundred rounds worth so I'll have to suffer thru the issues until the Korean ammo is used up. Gun is still fun to shoot even with the ammo problems. The small gas piston was filthy when I cleaned the gun as was most of the other parts, all from the Korean ammo I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Yeah, i was tempted... but i just dropped my gun budget for the next 5 years the other day, so had to say no.
They had a very nice selection. Grades up to very fine, about 8 manufacturers. But, the prices were up to about $1800 for very good to fine with the bayonet lug.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Yeah, i was tempted... but i just dropped my gun budget for the next 5 years the other day, so had to say no.
They had a very nice selection. Grades up to very fine, about 8 manufacturers. But, the prices were up to about $1800 for very good to fine with the bayonet lug.
I probably should have picked up one of the last big CMP batch that came through, 10+ years ago. Didn't then. Wasn't about to spend 1500 clams on a rifle I'd shoot but a handful of times a year. I hope the new owners are pleased with these ... even if it's not completely certain where they came from (as the provenance seems a little spotty).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts