Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Lifetime Supporting Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this from Auto-Ordnance and it's on the way. I pick it up Tuesday and will have a complete range report in a few weeks.

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Sweet shooter, fun to fire, comes with 15-round mag. (10 rnd mag available for Communist states.) Hornady makes a quality 30-cal carbine round but there are cheaper rounds available.

Obviously not going for ranges more than 120-150 yards here, but most of the shooting (and hunting) I've done have been well within that distance.

More to follow after I bust it's cherry with about 500 rounds. ;)

M1-Carbine-Slider-Top.png

Registered
I had a Frankenstein M1 carbine made out of mixed parts. Ran great, was super handy in size and weight. Mild recoil, reasonably accurate, and the little carbine round is nothing to sneeze at at 鈥渋ntermediate鈥 ranges.

Registered
I had one but the Army wanted it back when I left. It was a fun little rifle though.

Premium Member
I too am interested in how it works out for you. Looking for your review.

Reactions: 7point62

Registered
I had a Frankenstein M1 carbine made out of mixed parts. Ran great, was super handy in size and weight. Mild recoil, reasonably accurate, and the little carbine round is nothing to sneeze at at 鈥渋ntermediate鈥 ranges.
I have one also but over the years its gotten a little loose. I don't shoot it anymore.

I wouldn't mind having one of these Auto-Ord M1's if they are any good

Banned
it should shoot fine. if not, you have a warranty on it, don't try to figure it out yourself and go hacking on it. call them and send it back let them fix their mistake.

mags might be a issue, I have a IAI and a WINCHESTER carbine, both work great with milsurplus mags. bought a Korean aftermarket mag...鈥︹. garbage. only think that was good for was to shoot at it for target practice

Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
please keep up informed with your ongoing review of this rifle. I am interested in getting one as well. The reviews seem to be all over the place. Your unbiased review would be of great service.
I too am interested in how it works out for you. Looking for your review.

Well, gentlemen, I have an update of my original review and unfortunately it's not that good.

First few range trips, all was well, carbine functioned flawlessly.

Subsequent range trips, serious issues began to crop up all at once. (Goes without saying, the weapon is painstakingly cleaned after each firing session.)

1. The weapon will occasionally fire two rounds with one trigger pull, as if on full-auto. Both my son and I experienced this.

2. Failure to fire. After firing a few rounds, a following round will fail to fire. The unspent round will have to be manually ejected before firing can commence. And the stoppage will repeat several times during the discharge of a 15-round magazine.

3. After firing, the bolt will sometimes get locked in the closed position and resist all efforts to pull the slide back.

The upside (so far) is that Kahr Arms is honoring the 1-year warranty and have been very receptive and helpful. They sent a shipping label and the carbine has been sent to their facility in Greely, PA.

I have also learned that the problem may be in the springs. Other users have replaced the springs with an after-market Wolff spring kit (about $20) and the problems have been rectified.

While I'm waiting for the rifle to be returned to me, I went ahead and bought the spring kit. When I get the weapon back, I'm hoping the issues have been resolved. If not, I'll replace the springs and go from there.

Premium Member
I'll follow this. Have a USGI 1944 Mi Carbine, presented to my father many years ago (that was hung on his office wall). Shoots fine and I love it, but spare it a bunch of shooting. Therefore, my interest in a newer M1 Carbine to spare it premature wear.

I would very much prefer one that is based on USGI specs and parts, rather than proprietary support. KAHR isn't, but Fulton Armory does, for a premium price - about the same for a true USGI M1 Carbine in good shape.

I have other fun carbines (Mini-14s) to keep a smile on my face, but really love the M1 Carbine.

Registered
I'll follow this. Have a USGI 1944 Mi Carbine, presented to my father many years ago (that was hung on his office wall). Shoots fine and I love it, but spare it a bunch of shooting. Therefore, my interest in a newer M1 Carbine to spare it premature wear.

I would very much prefer one that is based on USGI specs and parts, rather than proprietary support. KAHR isn't, but Fulton Armory does, for a premium price - about the same for a true USGI M1 Carbine in good shape.

I have other fun carbines (Mini-14s) to keep a smile on my face, but really love the M1 Carbine.
I would just buy a good used GI one.

Ive been hearing very good things about these lately.

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/m1car001.htm

Premium Member
Fulton Armory has new ones (built to USGI specs) for about $1500, new, with a fine walnut stock and a decent warranty. All parts interchangeable with USGI parts.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Carbine.aspx

Just re-checked and YEOWWW!!! Their prices have gone up!!! Guess I'll stick with my Mini-14 as my main shooter and spare my USGI War Baby for special occasions...

Premium Member
Had an M1 Carbine, some years ago, though sadly not USGI and original, period-issue.

Blew it, big time, not having jumped on the fire sale that CMP had back in the mid-2000s when they refurbished a large stash of M1 Carbines they had returned to the U.S. Further blew it when failing to acquire a half dozen of these in the early 1980s when they could have been gotten for "a song" in most any town. What a blunder.

The originals can be something. The gun is generally so exceptionally well-balanced, easy to fire, and dead-on for accuracy. Hard not to like. And with the cachet of being USGI/original, even more so.

I miss 'em.

Oh, to find a pristine, lightly-used example of an IBM- and Winchester- made carbine, with matching, cosmoline-laden parts and nothing missing ... :D

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My rifle is on it's way back from Kahr. They had it about a week and a half so quick turnaround...that's another point in their favor. I've had absolutely no problem with their response to this.

I'm interested to see what the fixes were and how it performs now. Will advise.

Registered
Very interested in how this works out. I do have a vintage M1 from my grandfather. I say vintage, but the stock has been refinished and have been thinking about buying an original stock . Anyways, I don't shoot it much at all and have been toying with the idea of a new stock and buying a "shooter" like the Kahr but maybe not. I was toying with the idea of hand-loading 30 carbine too but just don't shoot it to warrent that. I'll take a look at SGammo as bulk might set me back a good bit but likely would "scratch the itch" for a good while

Banned
I'm interested to see what the fixes were and how it performs now. Will advise.
I doubt they will include a statement on what was fixed. I sent a few firearms back to the manufacturer because of issues, ie. CETME, Bulgarian SLR106UR and they didn't include anything about what they fixed, they just fixed it so it works.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts