M1 carbine sight

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Boyerracing343, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I currently have an M1 Carbine that i acquired with a cheap scope on it. I took the scope off to find out that the previous owner had removed the rear sight to allow the scope to be mounted. Does anyone know where i can buy a rear sight? I have done quite a bit of searching and have been unable to find one. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I believe you can contact a place called Hilltop Guns Inc. in Colona IL. He is an avid collector of Garands and M-1 Carbines and I bet he can help. If he can't he will direct you to someone who can.
    If you need additional please just pm me.

3. Boyerracing343

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

5. Boyerracing343

6. c3shooter

Not a dumb question at all- but one I can't answer, because (1) not an expert on carbines, and (2) I do not know what you have- who made it, etc. A very good book I would suggest is "War Baby". Library may be able to get you a copy on interlibrary loan- lot of good stuff on carbines. SOME of the variations of the MILITARY M1 Carbines- bayonet stud? early ones no have. Flat bolt/ round bolt. High cut wood on operating rod, or low cut? L shaped flip over rear sight, or slider? Lot of variations. You might try emailing the folks at Numrich with the make of your carbine, and see what they can suggest. Go to the Numrich website, look over on lower left for FORUMS.

7. Boyerracing343

Thank you for being extremely helpful. Thumbs up.

8. c3shooter

Here is ONE example of a different sight- L shaped flip over-

m1carbine rear sight.jpg

And the one that Canebrake posted is a different style- so THAT's why you need to find out what you had in da first place.

9. Boyerracing343

Cane, Thank you for your help.

c3shooter, I understand i need to figure that out now. I just had very little to work with speaking i got the gun with a scope already on it. My grand father was the previous owner and said the scope was also on it when he recieved it aswell. Time to do some research.

Thanks again everyone.

10. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

By your pictures it kinda looks like you have a variation of the Universal Carbine. I think they started making them around 1950. Not a GI Issue weapon. The slide on a GI weapon is a lot different although they did use quite a few GI parts on the Universal, Iver Johnson, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that any GI M1 Carbine rear sight, even a repo should fit. A new repo flip-over is only around 20 bucks.

Good luck with your project, Ken

11. Boyerracing343

kenhesr, thank you for the help.

12. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

If you have not found a sight yet, Brownells sells an exact repo, like the one on the rifle in the last picture. It's only $25.00, very well made for the price, fully adjustable with knob for windage and has reliable click stops, all marked for the different ranges.
    It's a steal at that price, I put one on my older Mini ranch and like it a lot.
    I needed to shorten the front sight and thin the front sight blade and it sits higher than the stock Mini sight, but I really like it. Just don't dissassemble it, the windage knob is well staked on, but if you take it off, you will need to have someone who is a good welder just hit it lightly with a tig torch.
    Mine looked perfect after it was fixed. I took it apart as you have to modify the sight to fit iton the Mini.
    Great sight, they are always in stock.
    It's not the flip over sight, it's the fully adjustable one.

John K