M1 Carbine Serial Numbers?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Redarrow18, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Well my unlce and grandfather both have M1 Carbines and I want to find some info about them, how old they are, if they were used in service, where they were made, etc., but I first need to know where I can find the serial number. I found some markings on my grandfathers yesterday in front and behind the rear sight, I believe they were NAIL URD INC. and 17775. also on the mag release was a M and a side ways WA, and on the side of the rear sight is what looked like a bagde with a rectangle inside it. If someone could clear things up for me it would be much appreciated!

I will see them both next saturday so I can get pictures if needed!

2. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This web site, The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbines - Serial Numbers, has most of the answers you need. Well, it would if you had a USGI Carbine. You are reporting a post-war commercial product by National Ordnance; see National Ordnance M1 Carbine for more details. The Nat Ord Carbine would not have been in military service, and was manufactured after WWII.

Regards,

Walt

3. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Thanks wjkuleck, after looking I found my grandpas was a National Ordnace
    M1 that was made sometime between 1962 and 1969, once I get a look at my uncles I'll see when that has to tell!

4. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

5. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

heres a little follow up if anyone cares, my Uncles M1 was a 1944 Underwood model, the serial number is 259****. I thought this was a cool find, how much would it be worth if most of the parts match?

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Matching parts really do not account for much. Most were arsenal reworked between the wars and parts rarely match.