M1 Carbine Scope

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mtnman17, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mtnman17

mtnman17 New Member

What would be the best size and magnification dimensions for a GI issue M1 carbine, Korean war era, .300, want to use it for deer hunting...

2. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Check your hunting laws first. The .30 M1 carbine is not legal for deer hunting in most states.

3. Gabob

Gabob New Member

The M-1 Carbine is not a good choice for deer hunting. The cartridge is underpowered and not legal in most states

4. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Perusing a few of the more popular states game sites shows that the carbine round is legal for hunting in most states. With properly loaded ammo it would be adequate for deer within 50 yards or less, not much different than using a 357 Magnum. Stop drinking the cool-aid and do some fact-checking first.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Even if it is legal, as the others before said, not a good caliber choice. I like Blue Kool-aid! :D

6. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

Yeah yeah, I know;). My point was to dispel a myth about legality issues with it. No need to follow the herd if it's heading for the cliffs. Besides within 50 yards I wouldn't feel undergunned with it with proper bullets and loads. More *** to it than a 357 Magnum at that range and there has been countless deer killed with that round. The OP never mentioned what deer he would be hunting. It may be an 80 pound Florida Key deer for all we know.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Will it kill a smallish deer? Of course. A .22 LR will kill a deer. Can it be loaded with a decent bullet? You would be hard pressed to find a "good" bullet for the carbine. The HP's are not known for expansion. The SP's are no better. Getting a light spitzer to work right is tricky and difficult to keep length reasonable.
    It may well have more "***" than a .357 Magnum but it is still with a lighter bullet with much less frontal area.

If you are fortunate enough to have that rare carbine that will shoot an inch at 50 yards and handload a "good" bullet and you are genuinely going to have a 50 yard shot on a small deer, then I would stick to either a red dot or 1-4X variable scope.

8. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

You don't need that kind of accuracy at that distance. 2-3" will work just fine. Take a look at the new bullets out there before passing judgment on the carbine round. The Cor-Bon DPX is quite an impressive round with a solid copper bullet from Barnes designed to expand at carbine velocities quite well. There are others as well. Does the cool-aid in the punch bowl ever run out? :D

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow! Over $2.00/ rd? It had better be good. Hey if it works for you, go for it.

10. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Going into the woods with a weapon that we all know is inadequate for the reliable taking of deer is unethical. If you want to go out and kill something then at least use a weapon that is capable of doing the job at 50 + yards. The .22 short will kill deer, but we don't use it. The .30 M1 carbine will surely kill deer but we don't use it either. If you are going to hunt, use something that will put the animal down now and not later after it runs off into the brush to lay down and die.
    The .30 carbine just doesn't have enough power to be a reliable game round. that is why most states have rendered it illegal to use for large game animals.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

most states its perfectly legal to use the .30 carbine round. illegality in most states is restricted to rimfire rounds.

i am also of the opinion that it is a REALY poor choice of bullets for hunting anything over coyoted or rabbit sized critters. it was also a poor round for dispatching humans during WW2 as well. this does not however detract in the slightest for it being one of the most fun rounds and guns for recreational target shooting and collecting.

if your looking for a similar weapon to feel size weight etc for deer hunting pick up one of the old tubluar magazine fed ruger .44 magnum carbines. it has about the same heft size and feel of a M1 carbine but chambered in a really great 100 yard deer killing round. it holds four shots. most states restrict magazine size when hunting carbine mags are 15 or 30 rounds. i do not remember seeing 5 round mags for it.

12. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Like JonM said, the Carbine is a fun rifle. I put a 4x42mm on my old Winchester and really enjoy it. The M1 carbine does what it was designed to do very well!

[​IMG]

Its a short range weapon, didn't figure I'd need a whole lot scope.

13. mtnman17

mtnman17 New Member

Well if the carbine isn't appropriate for deer hunting can anyone recommend a weapon, used/new that would be good? In NC, most deer are Whitetails. I say used because I am a HS student don't have too much money to be throwing around, maybe $200-$350 tops. I figure I will hit up some pawn shops around here to see what they have to offer.
    Thanks

14. Landon1976

Landon1976 New Member

My gosh can we give the OP a break and talk about scopes here???

Geez... so judgmental here on this forum? i am SURE he regrets mentioning his use for the carbine rifle but he did ask some opinion about scopes for it!!!

can you guys get over the Bullet and its effectiveness, and please discuss some optic suggestions? I also would like to hear some. I saw 2 out of about 12 posts mention some relevant info, thank you guys for that, still got my eye open for more.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I'd say look for used scopes. I have a tasco golden antler on my .54 muzzleloader that works great. I just bought another one for 20 bucks. If it holds zero for my muzzy it should be fine for the m1.

16. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

In KY, you can hunt deer with a .380... not that I would.:)