M1 Carbine front handguard question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by RufusTFirefly, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

M1 Carbine metal handguard question

Which M1 Carbines came with the perforated metal handguard? Was that a post war, aftermarket mod?, or were some WWII GI issued with them?

Very curious...

Rufus

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

They all had gas guards.

3. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I'm referring to wood vs. metal on the top of the forend hand guard. 99.9% of the M1 Carbines I see are wood, but a few pop up that have the metal one.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I never saw one with wood.

5. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Later generation commercial Universal M1 carbines had metal top hand guards:

[​IMG]

I don't recall U.S. military M1 carbines having metal hand guards, perhaps the paratrooper version did? Mine is from WW2 and has wood at looks just like this:

[​IMG]

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the paratrooper also had wood guards.

7. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Check the models that were issued during the Korean Conflict. I have seen some paratrooper models with the metal guards, not sure if they were issued that way or repurposed.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

GI- wood
    Civilian- Metal

There are an awful lot of M1A1 "paratrooper" carbines out there- more than were ever made by the US military.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There was a paratrooper "stock only" that recently sold on Ebay for $2400.00. Yes it was a wood guard. Listen to c3(as always)-
    GI- wood
    Civilian- Metal

10. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I just picked up a nice 1943 Underwood at a local gun show. Sweet little thing...

Rufus