M1 Carbine for SHTF

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by FCross7, Sep 11, 2011.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I was looking at my dad's M1 carbine the other day, which was my first time ever holding one, and while fondling it a bit, a thought occurred to me. The rifle is very light, fires a pretty decent round, and the ammo is fairly small and lightweight(so more could be carried), and have 30 round magazines.

So it go me thinking whether it would be a good option for SHTF. I know it's not very popular round, so I couldn't find ammo in many places, but let's take ammo availability out of the picture for a minute. So not including ammo availability, what's everyone's opinion on the M1 carbine for SHTF. To be honest, I really know nothing of the rifle. I'd love to shoot my dad's, but he's more of a gun collector than a shooter and not sure that he'd go for it.

Also, I know there are a few different companies that make them, what are the good ones?

-Fred

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Just googled "top shtf rifles", just to do a little research on the subject, and one of the links that popped up was for "SHTF blog's Top Ten BEST Guns for Survival". I haven't even read through the whole list yet, because after reading #10, I had to stop for a minute so I could finish laughing. Then I posted it here. #10 for the list read:

NUMBER TEN – The Mighty Barrett .50 BMG

LOL! Okay, okay, I kicked this list off with the Barrett just because. I don’t own one and I wouldn’t buy one, but I’ll tell you what, if SHTF, and you have one, you’re on my side.

For some reason I just found that hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. And the funny thing is, he has a point.

Here's the link:

SHTF blog’s Top Ten BEST Guns for Survival

-Fred

3. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Learn to take everything on the internet--especially anything gun-related--with a big grain of salt. Hell, take that last sentence with a grain of salt :p . If you like researching, you'll eventually develop decently sound lines of logic to help you make informed decisions, both based on the capabilities of firearms and on your realistic need for them. As a quick example, most people will say a pistol is hardly more useful than fighting your way to a rifle, and that rifles are always the primary. Well, if all you've got is a rifle and it's in the trunk while you go into walmart for some last-minute supplies, it's not going to do you much good when you get trapped in a riot inside the store. So, just think about your needs, your abilities, and your resources (don't spent a fortune on a gun and never be able to afford to practice, don't buy a 1000yd long-range rifle if all you have nearby is a 30yd indoor range, etc).

As far as the M1 carbine. Eh. They seem to have mediocre mechanical reliability, are very expensive for quality ones, and like you said, fire a moderate round that is not that readily available. If I were looking for a low-recoil close-range carbine, I'd take a modern 9mm carbine every day of the week over an M1.

The Beretta CX4 Storm is probably my favorite. This one takes M92 magazines so you have options for reliable 20-30rd mags if you wanted. It is on the more expensive side of 9mm carbines, but it it is still probably less expensive than a quality M1.

Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine 9mm 15 round w/Top Rail $689.00 SHIPS FREE

Additionally, for the same money you could just get an AR also :p .

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

M1 carbine is a great choice. People tell you that a 110gr bullet at 1980 FPS is a weenie rd, but the same guys will tell you that a 110gr .357Mag at 1450 FPS is the shizzle.

A friend of mine used one in Vietnam and said the round never failed him. It remains one of his favs.

5. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Being a glider pilot my uncle was issued a M-1 Carbine for all 3 of his european landings. he told me the first thing he did after landing was to take a dead soldier's M-1 Rifle & ammo & destroy his carbine as they were useless. Especially with ball ammo. You would do better with a Mini 14 than the M-1 Carbine.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  6. coba29

coba29 New Member

Idk about the ar15 being number one.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You could do worse than the M-1 Carbine. The round is considered underpowered with Ball ammo. You are not confined to Ball ammo. Decent soft point ammo or handloads with the 100 gr "Plinker" bullet are very formidable on soft skinned targets.

For the most part all M-1 Carbines are mechanically the same except for the Universal brand. They are not built on the GI blueprints and have almost no parts interchangeability with the GI versions.

A Mini-14, especially a newer one, would be superior. An AR 15 would be very superior.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

A free M1 carbine trumps a not-yet-paid-for rifle. It's great for what it is, but I'd go AR-15. If you like the M1 platform, get a Garand or M1A (or Mini-14).

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only issues ive ever had with my various m1 carbines over the years is finding good magazines. Most are utter crap. If a carbine is having jamming issues its almost always mag related.

As said above its in the same perfomance area as a 357 pistol. Just dont fool yourself to think your getting rifle performance out of one.

The carbine was designed to replace the 1911 in certain support roles and was never originallyintended to serve as a true combat rifle. Shortages of m1 garands pressed itinto front line service whereit was a reliable if pathetic performer at longer ranges.

In general Troops that fought in more open terrain hated it those that foight in urban combat and vehicle crews loved it.

Would it be my choice?? Not unless all my other firearms were broken. They are only about 100 yard guns and thats stretching it.

10. jismail

jismail Member

Assuming I was not having to do an urban 'run and gun' full on battle, I think the M1-carbine is a good choice for a easily portable weapon for usage as an emergency hunting, defensive, and if need be offensive in close range rifle.

On another site, there was a video posted of the French Foriegn Legion and they were using the M1 carbine as a primary close quarter offensive weapon due to the effiicient energy transfer of the blunt round over the more powerful rounds in situations of 30 yard encounters.

If as a civilian, I was being emergency 'mobilized' for full offensive operations but had to supply my own weapon, I would grab my M14. It has the range and knockdown power for a MBR situation and is also NATO compatible.

If the SHTF and I was anticipating having to be on my own for a significant amount of time without anticipation of the restoration of civil services, then I would still be concerned on ammo but assuming I only needed a lighter duty weapon that was still capable of being 'offensive' if needed, I would grab my Mini-14 as it still uses a NATO round and can be most likely be scrounged or borrowed, yet still can mess up someones day at 300 yrds and is a bit lighter to pack around.

If I was just packing up my family and a few belongings for a short disruption of social society and wanted to grab a rifle cause I may have need for it in an emergency (say a major earthquake such as the Japan disaster), My 1943 Standard Products Carbine with a couple 30 round magazines and current SP rounds would not leave me feeling exposed and is easy to transport, use, clean, and is a proven war veteran that is dependable and effective within it's design limits.

Regardless.... it is nice to have choices! :D

[​IMG]

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The M1 Carbine is an excellent rifle and can be effective at shorter ranges. I've had two Inland's and they were very dependable. Magazines are available, but are expensive for good ones.

All I did when I got them was give them a thorough clean and lube and change out the springs.

Although I enjoyed them, I decided for possible SHTF to go with the Mini 14 instead. Ammunition availability and having a true rifle round, albeit a smaller diameter are what swayed me.

The M1 Carbine was originally intended to replace a sidearm. It actually does better than that, but not well enough for me to depend on it in extreme circumstances.

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Its a fun gun to shoot, I like them in general but for a SHTF situation I would go with something newer like the 223 or even the 7.62X51 maybe the 7.62X39 just because ammo is more available. You can go to any police department and find 223 or 5.56, or even 9mm.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Let me start by saying that I don't have, nor have I ever had any intentions of getting any sort of rifle in .50BMG. I just thought that what the dude said was funny.

I've heard that, like the 1911, the mags for them are the only real weak spot. I guess I should have stated that it wouldn't be my only, or even my first choice for a SHTF weapon, more of a backup, or just a little light handy short range rifle that could come in handy in certain situations.

Like I said, this would kind of be a backup type weapon for me, something between my pistol and rifle. Something that could be handy in certain situations, maybe like a little supply run where you may have to bring back a decent amount of supplies, but wanted to bring a rifle and a decent amount of ammo without it all being too heavy. I probably should have stated that to begin with.

And off the topic of the M1. I had an AR in the past, but wasn't happy with the configuration I had, and had a friend that wanted it more than I did so I sold it. While I do like the platform, I guess I'm just not as fond of it as others are. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome platform, and the pros of the rifle definitely FAR outweigh any cons it might have, but I guess I'm just looking for something a little different.

Up until recently, I really drank a lot of the kool-aid on a bunch of different firearms, (Mini 14's aren't and can't be accurate, Glocks suck for various reasons, etc), but then I picked up a Glock 17 and I love the thing. So my eyes have really been opened to lots of firearms that I would have ruled out off hand without even handling one in the past. The Mini 14 has really been catching my eye lately. I would really love to get a M-14/M1A (the SA Socom 16 in particular), but right now I just can't afford to get one. So that got me looking at the Mini-14, both the rifle and ammo are about half the cost, which is very attractive to me. The rifle is fairly lightweight, around 7lbs if I'm not mistaken. So I guess my question is, for those of you who have the Mini, how do you like it? If I got one it would definitely be one of the newer 580 series as I heard they are more accurate as is than the older ones.

Also, I read the stickies on accurizing it, and I'm not looking to make one into a target rifle, but how much, if any of that stuff have you guys done to yours? I'm looking for a rifle than can easily shoot minute of man at reasonable distances, within 300 yards at the maximum, but would mostly be MUCH closer than that.

And the last thing is magazines. The largest Ruger mags I've seen for them are 20 rounders. I however would like to get some 30s, which companies out there are putting out good mags?

**Edit** I just saw that Ruger is actually making 30 rounds mags, but it seems that they aren't any better than some of the others. Most of the 30 round mags I saw, the Ruger included, either had a 5 star rating, or a 1 star rating. This was on MidwayUSA btw. I also saw that a company called Triple K makes a 40 round mag that has decent reviews, but also has a few bad ones. Just wondering what everyone experience and opinion was on any of the 30-40 round mags.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any and all help.

-Fred

14. jismail

jismail Member

I would think having such a large magazine would be very cumbersome to pack around. I would rather have a couple smaller magazines and keep them at the ready 'just in case' and not make the rifle to bulky to manage due to a realy long magazine getting hung up on everything.

15. CA357

I'm on my third Mini 14. All have been 580 series models. I had a Tactical model that I liked, but sold it when money got tight. I now have a plain ol' Ranch Rifle and I'm very happy with it. It's my SHTF rifle.

I have two .30-06's if I need more punch, but the Mini is my go to.

Ruger does make 30 round magazines. I've used John Masen 10 round mags and they function just fine, but they are the only aftermarket mags I've ever tried. I have some factory 20 rounders and they function perfectly.

I haven't done any modifications to my Mini, but I plan to add the MoReaper muzzle brake as soon as my budget allows.

I live in a very small town and if SHTF here, my longest shot isn't much over 100 yards. Anything over that is where the '06's come in. There are people on this forum that regularly shoot their Mini's at longer distances, but I'm not one of them.

I hope this helps.

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My go to distance rifle is my winchester model 70 7mmWSM with a Pentax 3x9x50 light seeker scope and bipod....its a beast

17. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

if I am not wrong didn't the m1 carbine not make it through Korean cold weather clothing? during the war I mean

18. CA357

Yes, that was a common complaint.

19. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

SHTF you have to expect some people to have some armor i know I do

20. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've pretty much ruled it out and I ordered a mini-14 from Buds yesterday.

Though in response to the body armor, I think most of those wearing body armor will be the "good guys", or at least as close as you would get in that situation. Still a valid point and something to think about though.

-Fred