m1 carbine for home defense?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Would it be suitable for home defense?
    Also is auto ordnance a good m1 carbine manufacturer?
    Lastly- is ammo commonly available?
    Thanks in advance

2. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes the carb is a great old firearm. However the good ones are way too expensive for you interest. The ammo is very expensive. I would look at the 9MM High Point carbine for your use. The Marlin Camp gun also in common handgun ammo from Walmart.:)

3. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

Hello have looked into those.the hp995, dont like its design. I had me set on the ruger pc9, problem is i cant find one, discontinued in early 2000s. If i find one, i wouldn't hesitate. Saw the m1 and saw it very versatile but ammo pricing was a disappointment. Might hold off for a ruger pc than.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the 30 carbine ammo is almost twice as much as 9mm. I have seen M1 carbines for sale from $300 on up. The 9MM High Point has only 10 rd magazines. the 30 carbine has 15 and 30 round.

5. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

To hiwall- true yet unfortunately im in cali. So a 15 rd or 20 is a big nono :(...

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sorry about your choice of address. there is a free state next door:)

7. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

True. But being born here in California, i'd rather stay and fight than leave and live happily after. THESE CALIFORNIANS DONT RUN. : )

8. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Forget that I'm getting out of here as soon as I can; and my family's been here for 7 generations.

9. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

I respect your decision.
    If i were to ever move, i'd move to new Mexico

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yep, Thats what Billy the Kid said when he left Oklahoma. I think I will move to New Mexico. How did that move work out for Ole Bill:confused:

11. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

dont know, il ask him when im in new mexico, il get back to you on that

12. Donn

Donn Active Member

Back to the original question, M1 carbine for home defense. Easy to handle in confined space, 15-30rd capacity, negligible recoil, .308 diameter bullet with higher muzzle velocity than a .357 magnum. Load it with soft/hollow points, it's more than up to the job. Yeah, ammo's a little pricey but worth it for what you're doing with it. High Point? Spare me.

13. jismail

jismail Member

Watch Gunbroker.com for one. They pop up from time to time... like right now... ;)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=312222190

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Auto Ordnance carbine. It will get the job done, but be sure to put at least 300-400 rounds through it for break in and reliability testing.

For the same money, you could get a used .357 magnum revolver, S&W or Ruger, that imho would be a better choice.

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

A handgun would be a better choice than a rifle? Doubtful.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. A rifle for home defense fight again?
    A handgun makes sense and a shotgun is great. A rifle is kinda silly. Limited maneuverability, over penetration, increased time to aim, excessively loud.
    If the person is intruding on your land a rifle is a great option but in your home its a detriment. How many of the stories of successful defense of home invasion have you heard where they use an m1 carbine or an AR? How many military and police forces use a shotgun instead of a rifle for entry and cqb situations?
    Yes a rifle can work if you have nothing else but I hope you don't kill your neighbor or a family member in the process.

17. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

If i was 21, i'd buy a revolver. Shotgun could be an option

18. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I'd go with a shotgun with an 18 inch barrel, thats probably your best option for home defense if you can't but a handgun yet.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Donn, I'm a great fan of rifles. But the M1 carbine is not exactly a rifle. Not in the sense that an AR or AK is.

And I've never seen a carbine that had the reliability of a good handgun. As much as I love the little carbine, I don't trust it completely. I wanna hear "bang" every time I pull the trigger. Every time, no exceptions.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The M-1 .30 Carb was the American version of the M-16 thru 3 wars and 100s of armed conflicts. The little rifle jumped out of airplanes fought in the tropics and the deserts. The M-2 select fire flat bolt was a great urban war fare weapon for military and civilans. It was and is a very dependable compact rifle. ;)