M1 carbine 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by SeaCapt, Oct 1, 2013.

1. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

So I broke down and traded for a universal 2nd Generation M1 Carbine.. It needs a hand guard either wood or metal, other than that for a rife manufactured in the late 60's early 70's it's in fantastic shape.. It's just for my collection / plinking .. I did read up and seems that most of universals bad rap came from their late run 3rd gens ..

Anyways any tips on reloading .30 cal? It looks like a .357 magnum.. Also any tips or links for restoring would be welcomed

image-3886172882.jpg

image-2026139517.jpg

image-3526286119.jpg

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

The universal carbines aren't m1 carbines. No parts interchange without severe modifications. If it functions take it out and shoot it and enjoy getting lucky with one. A good portion of them don't function well.

30 carbine is easy to load very little trimming is ever needed in straightwall cases. That's why most of the cartridges I gravitate to are straightwalled. Breeze to load for. Just don't use non jacketed lead bullets. Clog that gas port and its a bear to clean it out.

3. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

Thanks for that Jon.. Yeah there was so many knockoffs post WW II that I was drowning in info.. Of course id love to own a Original USMIL, but they are pricy and I would not want to take it to the range very often just because of its collectibility.. That's why I settled on a knock off .. It fires and cycles well, it's all good steel.. firing it or dropping it won't detract from its value .. Universal was in business for a very long time and manufactures quite a few, so I assume that they couldn't all be bad..

4. 1911love

1911love New Member

Hialeah, Florida is where they were made. Glad yours functions well, the one I shot did not. Believe it or not, Sears used to stock it.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I believe they are or were made in the phillipines hileigh florida was the import location.

Not all were bad just most which is why folks tend to avoid them. Sounds like you got lucky.

The 30carbine is a damn fun round simply one of my favorites due to its decent accuracy and light recoil. The carbine action just makes it fun to shoot. Its a shame no one made a good clone as its a stupid simple design with few moving parts using a easy to produce round that is more than capable of taking deer at the 100 yard mark.

30carbine is about the same power factor as a 357 levergun.

6. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

I did some research on the universals and turns out the first gens up to a certain point, made where interchangeable with mil parts. The 2nd gen starts at about 104,xxx up and some website s attribute the changes in design to cost cutting and or this is where they where no longer just assembling surplus mil parts and where actually manufacturing parts of their own.. This one I acquired is 162,xxx so it's right in the middle of the pack, and ballpark early 70's manufacturing . The 3rd gens is where the real bad wrap for this manufacturing company comes to play, well all the indicators and research done by others seems to point to this as the stage where the wheels basically come off due to cost cutting and led to the eventual demise of the company..

7. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

I agree.. It's a popping lil round.. To bad Ruger couldn't modify the 10/22 to accommodate this round ..

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  9. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

Funny thing is I remember somebody telling me about the 9mm, but like usual I forgot to check it out like I said I was.. That's pretty cool. I know some guys like to convert AR platforms to 9mm , seems like a hassle if you could pick up one of those .. To me Ruger is still one of premier gun companies ( behind Springfield Armory)Some of my friends claim that they are bland.. But I'd take ruger ruggedness and reliability over flashiness any day .. I've owned several Mini 14's and 30's .. Never had a glitch or problem.. I was disappointed that their AR system didn't take off.. I think the price kinda scared people away, when there are so many models and variations on the market that are priced lower ..

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Unfortunately ruger bought into the piston hype fad so it drove up costs and they ended up with a very pricey clunky unbalanced ar15 of which they were outsourcing pretty much everything on it.

11. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

Dam that's to bad Jon, I knew that they where going piston but didn't know they had outsourced many of their parts.. I've seen some decent piston conversions .. By big gripe and the reason I steered away from the piston would be effectively losing my free floating barrel.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Piston guns can be very accurate if its done right. The scar17 m1a and m1 garand is proof of that. But your not going to get there by a add on kit . It has to be done as part of the overall design process.

The ruger ar15 is something that came from a very vocal minority in the gun forums speaking on a topic they have no real experience with. Ruger saw that as an area of demand rather than the fad internet jockey nonsense it is. So they went pricey piston trying to solve something that has never been a problem in the modern ar15 system.

13. ric-hubbard

ric-hubbard New Member

I hear good things about the new Auto Ordinance M1. In his book "Gun Digest Book of Survival Guns: Tools & Tactics for Disaster Preparedness", Scott Wagner has good things to say about them. The Universal models, including the Enforcer pistol, have all been excessively unreliable.

If you want an M1 Carbine, and who could blame you, you might consider looking into one of the new AO guns.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The M-1 Carb is a natural for shooting cast bullets. The .30 Carb round is nothing more than a handgun round. The bullets cast from Linotype gas checked and lubed with SPG will work just fine. The bullets only gas cut when shot undersized. The correct size for cast bullets in the M-1 is .309. There will not be any leading or gas port fouling. :)
    The straight walled cases subjected to being jerked from the chamber does require more trimming. The proper head space is critical in the carbines and handguns when firing this round. Most reloading instructions will point this out. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Several slow burning pistol powders work well in the .30 M1. I have used IMR 4227 in the past, but prefer W-296 now.