M&P Shield Safety or not

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Jimski, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jimski

Jimski Member

I ordered a M&P Shield 9mm and will be picking it up Monday morning. I have a choice of getting one with or without the safety. I'm thinking with safety for now but want to know if there's a down side to having a safety on this gun.

2. Flatblack79

Flatblack79 New Member

No downside. If it has it and you dont want it... dont use it. Cant use it if it doesnt have it. All boils down to personal preference and comfort level

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a matter of training. You need to train with the safety. It has to be an automatic reflex to be used correctly. If you are not willing to train skip the safety. In a panic you will forget the safety if it is not ingrained into your muscle memory.

4. Jimski

Jimski Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought there was some issue with the safety, which led me to think that was the reason for the safety option. Looking forward to picking up my M&P Shield tomorrow.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You have to make the choice not use. I only carry a no external safety handgun now for 28 years . Finger is my safety. That handgun ain't gona go bang on its own. IF you buy a model with a safety plan on training with it . rRason why, IF you ever sweep it on by mistake and don't sweep if off every time you might not get a second chance if really needed. Understand !!

6. Jimski

Jimski Member

I understand how safety's work, been using them for over 50 years. A few years back I read an article about a detective who was in a car crash that caused his pistol to discharge, shooting himself. Nothing serious but I bet he didn't have a safety on. My reason for asking about the safety in this thread was to make sure they worked properly without an issue.

Better to be safety than sorry.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not had any problems with mine.

8. nuck1969

nuck1969 New Member

I insure my safety is off every time I holster to carry. The safety is pretty tight and has never accidentally went on safe without me engaging it.

9. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

There is a class of guns that do not have a manual safety. Glock is the stereotypical example. Others have a manual safety, such as 1911s. Both are popular. Sounds to me like the M&P is trying to compete in both arenas.

My preference is XDm which has no safety. I would have to train for quite a while to become confident enough with a safety to be willing to carry it. With my non-safety equipped XDm, I simply draw, obtain a firing grip and pull the trigger. I don't have to remember to release the safety.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Jimski One more thing to think about That shield has one darn small safety on a rather small handgun . Not easy to work and some folks have had issues with it . I had one on a full size m&p I picked and it was the worst example of a safety possible from a manufacture .

Buy a quality holster as many of there unintended discharge you read about by some rag writer or not the best . You may also assume if some detective had his handgun fire in wreck I probably has to do with his general experience as most are not gun guys and some second class holster many dicks carry . No retention !! Some cheap clip on likely or some older handgun with no drop safety maybe. Gun rag writers may not be the best place to find factual third hand info ether .

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

My son had one with the safety to start with and he found it unreliable. He carried it on safe and many times he would find the safety off and a time or two he found the safety would be on after he took it off. He sold it and bought one w/o the safety. Also be very careful about which one your get reference the trigger. They make them with some very unusable triggers to comply with the anti-gun laws in some states!!!:) I think Smith discontinued the ones with the safety.

12. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

I'm a frame mounted safety guy, i like all my carry guns to have a frame mounted safety

13. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

Ruger with the LC9, and the SCCY CPX are available with and without the safety
    Myself I'm all for the manual safety my son is not.

Above all what ever you have follow the special forces and marine attitude "Train like you fight! Fight like you train" Granted you probably are not going to see a bad guy every day or so to take out, but IF you train to do what has to be done, when it comes time, it will be easier to accomplish the task at hand with the least amount of grief.

14. Kennydale

Kennydale New Member

Best safety is between the ears.

15. PaPow

PaPow Member

exactly that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I will not carry any sidearm with a manual safety.

Manual safeties are unnecessary, and just more parts to break at a critical time. They serve no useful purpose other than being a "feel good" device.

The manual safety is a relic of the past.

17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I don't have the extensive gun experience that some here have. Almost all my practice and almost all my guns are non-manual safety (XDm). When I have used a gun with a manual safety at the range, I always forget to engage the safety before holstering or disengage it when trying to fire. I know it's just a matter of practicing that action until it becomes natural. But I feel that if I am prone to making that mistake at the range, I'm almost sure to make that mistake under stress. So, I won't carry a non-manual safety gun because I have no level of confidence in my ability with that type of gun.

That said, I'm going to try using Winds P238 at an IDPA match as soon as I get the mag holder I ordered at the Wanamachers Gun Show in Tulsa. May not get it till around Christmas, so might be next year for that. I have a holster for it. So I'm doing some dry fire drawing practice and trying to develop the habit of using the manual safety. I'll need to do it correctly at the match.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  18. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Weird, my Shield has a safety, maybe I'll try it someday

19. PaPow

PaPow Member

Man thats weird, same thing here too....lol

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I think safeties can be good and comforting for many people when they first start shooting. I like to use pustols with softies when I take new shooters to the range, until they really get basic gun handling fundamentals down, like keeping guns pointed down range, not muzzle sweeping people, keeping the finger off the trigger until the gun is on target, etc. a lot of folks just aren't aware until they've done more gun handling and reenforced habits of some of these things many of us take for granted.

But for carry guns I also prefer striker fired guns with no manual safety to have to think about, or a DA/SA pistol with a decocker only. I still have CZ75s and 1911s with manual safeties, but they are not carried often.

My M&P has no manual safety.