M&P Shield Magazine Issue

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by speedgraphic, Mar 21, 2017.

1. speedgraphic

speedgraphic New Member Supporter

I'm looking for advice on reassembling a Shield .45 caliber 7 round magazine. I haven't seen any threads on this but I cannot replace the floorplate of the magazine without the little metal guide prongs sticking out beyond the floorplate and preventing magazine insertion. Does anyone know if there is a trick to this? Any help is appreciated and thanks!

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no experience with these magazines, have you tried YouTube?

3. speedgraphic

I did and to my surprise there was no video on these specific magazine. The 7 round magazine appears to have a different floorplate catch than any M&P pistol magazines featured on YouTube. I'll have to contact customer service I suppose.

4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i hate to point out the obvious, but have you read the owner's manual?

if not, or you don't have one, go to the manufacturers website and see if there is online owner's manual that you can download.

if the magazine was meant to be disassembled for cleaning, it should be covered in the manual.

5. speedgraphic

There's certainly no shame in reminding a man of the existence of owner's manuals. I did read the manual and having contacted customer service I was told, "yeah, unfortunately that's been an issue. I can send you a new floorplate catch or you can send the magazine back and we'll take care of it for you. If you follow the owner's manual exactly, it will seat correctly but you can send it in for repair."

He later told me that they have made a change to resolve the problem. So which is it? Either you can follow the instructions and it will work or there is an issue that requires repair. Unfortunately, I never think of these things while I'm on the phone.

Anyway, I'm sending it out today for repair and I am providing images here for those who search for an answer the this same question so they can be sure that we are discussing the same problem. Thank you both for your suggestions!

Attached Files:

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. speedgraphic

They're supposed to run along the outside of the magazine tube but recede below the floorplate; that's where the issue was. No matter how I manipulated it, the floorplate catch would not lay flush inside the floorplate thus causing the guides, or extensions as you called them, to remain visible.