M&P Owners Out There

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by FCross7, Dec 27, 2011.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Just recently got a S&W M&P9, and was just curious how many other M&P owners there are out there.

I know it's not as popular as some other pistol types, but it is still a very solid and well-made pistol.

-Fred

2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

M&p 40 is my side arm its the two tone black an brown ,I sure like it

3. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I just discovered M&P's a few months ago and I am a big fan. They are very comfortable, and I shoot them better than any other manufacturer that I own.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Don't have one, and probably won't, but that's because of other desires and a lack of funds. My mom and step dad each have one in .40. I've shot them and the old sigmas which they get compared to quite a bit ("it's nothing but an updated sigma!" is what I hear quite often)

They are way better than a sigma, I like them a bit better than GLOCK, but I haven't been able to compare one to an xd. My step brother has though, and he bought the m&p to take the place if his xd duty sidearm after trying it out.

The ones with no magazine drop safety are easier to take down, my parents both have the ones with the drop safety and they have to use the little tool to operate a lever inside the mag well. One I looked at in the gun store took down with a dry fire.

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I don't know why people compare them to Sigmas. They're nothing like them, the only resemblances are the polymer frames and the same style of "safe action" trigger.

Mine doesn't have the mag disconnect, but you can take it down either way, with the tool or with a dry fire. Are the ones with the mag disconnect not that way?

-Fred

6. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Because you can't take it down with the mag in, and can't dry fire it with the mag out:p

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Ah, duh. Can't believe I didn't think of that. **facepalm**

-Fred

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ha ha! Yup, that's it!

9. dantfitz

dantfitz New Member

Have the 40 compact and the full size 45 love both of them. Had a trigger job done on both and Novak sights put on the 40.

10. MPsteelshooter87

MPsteelshooter87 New Member

I have a full size 45 and love it, I carry it alot more then my xd. I havnt done much work to it besides color in the roll stamping and blacked out the rear sights and highlighted the front.

11. viper7342

viper7342 New Member

I also have one in 40 S&W and love it, I find it both comfortable in the hand and accurate, I haven't done any trigger work on it yet and don't think I will as the trigger on mine is quite good as it came from the box.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Those interchangeable backstraps are what my parents love the most about theirs. My step dad has big ham hands, and uses the biggest one, my mom has very small petite hands and uses the smallest one, yet they still have the exact same gun, with interchangeable parts and magazines, and interchangeable shooters.

13. bones72

bones72 New Member

I have m&p 9 compact. Really like the gun a lot !! It is very comfortable and conceals easy enough !!!

14. QFive

QFive New Member

No M&P in centerfire but I love my M&P .22 plinker pistol. What a blast! Plan in getting an M&P 9, one of the few poly's that I think has great balance.

15. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

I bought the full size M&P in .40 and love it. Just put a Streamlight TLR-3 on it and couldnt be happier

16. tankmechanic

tankmechanic New Member

You can dry fire with the mag out. I do it all the time while doing my functions check. MP .40

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

On some of the newer ones, yes. And I think there are some other considerations as to exact model. The ones my parents have are about 4 years old and have the mag drop safety, they will not fire with the mag removed. It even says on the side of the gun "...will not fire with magazine removed..."

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Theirs has no thumb safety, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

19. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

I dont believe it does, the M&P autos have several different variations in each model... Thumb safety or not, magazine safety... Good guns though. I own 2 so far and out of all the polymer guns out there they are the ones I like as much as my Glocks , in fact I actually have traded all my 9mm Glocks away since I like my M&P9 Pro better than my Glock 17 or 19. The jury is still out on which I like best between the M&P45 and my beloved Glock 21. Going to shoot some IDPA this Saturday and out the Smith through its paces and see how she compares to the Glock.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

20. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

M&P 40S&W was my first pistol. I had ZERO issues with it other than the fact that I couldn't afford 40S&W rounds for it. I since traded it for an XDm 9mm. I would buy another M&P though, no doubt about it. Great Pistol!