M&P Compact 357 Sig, Should I get it???

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by X-Raycer, Oct 20, 2012.

1. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

I was in the Police Equipment store last week looking for a S&W Shield .40 and was introduced to this pistol.

S&W M&Pc 357Sig with No Thumb Safety
    NIB and comes with:
    3 10 Round Magazines
    Standard S&W Night Sights front and back
    3 sizes of interchangeable Backstraps
    The price is $599.00
    As a Veteran I get it for $499.00 + 6% tax

Is this a good deal?
    I can't find info on it or anything comparable in my internet searches.

I did research the Ammo and see that it is the Ammo used by the Secret Service, Air Marshals, and many State Police Agencies.
    I've read that the 357Sig have a Big Muzzle Flash and a Very Loud Bang and that it will do its job after penetrating a Windshield or Automotive Glass.

I like the looks of this pistol.
    I don't like the Short barrel of the Shield. It looks lop-sided to me.
    I really like the feel of this pistol in my hand.
    It would be used for Home-defense/CCW.

Your experience and or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Rich

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

I carried guns chambered in this caliber for years. It is a reloaders dream as it takes 9mm components. It has great accuracy and penetration. The solid copper or Gold Dot HP's are by far the best defensive rounds (gold dots are made for this calibers velocity).
    The recoil is a snap, not a push, similar to the .40.
    I had a Sig 229, Glock, and H&K USP. The glock was lightest and highest capacity but snappiest recoil. I've never shot any of the Smiths.
    I absolutely loved my 357 sigs over .40's. For factory ammo, .40's are cheaper and there is more choice. Since the Gold Dots are undisputed champs, choice isn't a big deal with HP's.
    As for price, I think the M&P's are $600 new around here without night sights.

3. mag318

mag318 Member

It's a great calibre and for a few bucks more you can buy a .40 barrel from the factory and have two guns in one. I really like the M&P357c so I strongly recommend them to anyone who is thinking about buying one.

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

That's a great deal. I have the 45c. It came nib with 2 mags and standard 3 dot sights for 500. I don't know much about 357 sig but the platform is excellent. I would not pass that up

5. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

Thanks folks,
    The more I look, I see that there are Barrels in 9mm Luger and .40 S&W from S&W at the Midway site for $65 ea.

And they also have adapters that allow you to use Full Size Magazines and extensions that increase the Round Capacity to 20 Rds. per Mag.
    That would be awesome for 9mm at the Range.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Pistol because it has so much going for it.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That is a Ctg. I would like to have in a full sized handgun. :)

7. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

What does Ctg mean?
    Cartridge?

(Edit)
    Yeah, that's it.
    Silly me...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  8. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

For me, the MP .40 Compact was enough for me, plus .40 shells are cheaper than the .357 Sig. With todays economy, cheaper is better.

9. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I just picked up the very same deal for $399. Took it to the range today, pleasure to shoot, and recoil isn't anything to be concerned about. I've always felt that if a handgun is too snappy for you that you may wanna reexamine your grip. Anyway, very pleased with it so far, now I need to find a decent holster and I can rotate it in as a carry piece.

10. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

Byron:
    Check out the Blackhawk Serpa holster.
    I like how it locks the weapon in, with out a Thumb Strap.
    Just press the Trigger Guard Lock with your trigger Finger and it's out in your hand.

11. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Sherpa Holsters are awesome. I first used em when I was deployed and come to really like them, I have several at home. I want a somewhat concealable holster that I don't have to thread through my belt. I have a Gould and Goodrich that I use for my XD Subcompact and CZ P07, I really like how comfortable it is and it doesn't leave a huge imprint, however it's a belt threaded holster.

12. alanault

alanault New Member

What is the benefit of the 357sig over the .40?

13. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

14. alanault

alanault New Member

Thanks Byron, 100% answered my question.

15. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Most welcome. The only thing that scares me about the 357 sig is over penetration. Hopefully I never have to put it to use defending myself.

16. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

After a lot of thinking, encouragement from my buddy and my girlfriend telling me she couldn't believe I didn't buy it yet...
    I bought it !!!

I paid $587, tax included, and got the New M&Pc (3.5" barrel) in 357 Sig and two 20 Rd. boxes of Speer 125 grain Gold Dot JHP ($27.99 ea.) included in that price.

The pistol came with 3 10 round magazines, padded Hard Case, Lock and Cable and factory installed Trijicon Night Sights.
    The Trijicon sights MSRP is $175 and retail for $124.
    All in all I think I got a hell of a deal.

Now that I have it in my hand, loaded, I Love it.

But I have one complaint.
    I will start another thread to deal with that specifically.

Thanks to everybody for the input.

17. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

Let me guess... Would it have to do with adding another to your collection?

It's like Lay's potato chips, you can't eat just one.

18. Olbuv

Olbuv New Member

Guy's I'm seeing a lot of talk about interchanging barrels. If I buy the M&P in a .40 or 9MM, I can buy a factory barrel for the 357 sig and use it in the same frame?

19. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

Midway has the barrels and they are made by S&W.
    .40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 9mm Luger (my interest) for $65 each in 3.5" for the M&P compact.

The .40 S&W and 357 Sig Mags are inter-changeable with ammo. I'm not sure about 9mm Luger.

The 9mm ammo is half the cost of 357 Sig, so for some Range and Practice the barrel would pay for itself if you don't need to pay a Gunsmith.

I would use a Gunsmith for the first Barrel change to be safe.

20. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

I forgot, from what I've read, the 357 Sig goes bang with 40,000 psi and the .40 S&W reaches 35,000 psi.
    But I don't think S&W would sell the drop-in barrels if they weren't safe with M&P frame.