M&p ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by josefsu2000, Apr 1, 2012.

1. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

I'm in the market for an AR15... Is the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 a good rifle? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated... Thanks in advance... Happy shooting!

2. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Yes. I've had the opportunity to shoot the crap out of one. It works just as well as my armalite. But I see some much better prices advertised on the smiths sometimes.

3. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I'm getting the s&w M&p 15 sport upper. Which is a cheaper rifle but from the research I've done it can take a damn good beating.

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I used to have one, was my very first AR and bought it out of impulse after graduating high school haha but in all seriousness its a great rifle. There may be better ones for a little more or so but the smith I had, I'd compare accuracy wise to my RRA

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Work on your dealers over priceing . many of us have bought them for under 600 dollars. Good basic rifle.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

If you are looking for just a plinking/range/fun gun than yes it is a fine rifle, not the best, not the worst either. As folks have mentioned they can be had for relatively cheap.

But have you considered building your own? A lot of folks here have and between the helpful members, sticky and build threads there is a wealth of information available to help you with a build.

Good luck with whichever route you take :)

7. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

I ended getting the DPMS A-15 rifle basic model. This way I can custom build accessories to it... It shoots great and it was great on the wallet too...

Attached Files:

8. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

I did some upgrades...

Attached Files:

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

So...what bling did you get her, josef? How's that scope?

10. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

I got a GMG rail system, a Pro Mag rail sling swivel, a Magpul MIAD black grip, a TruGlo riser mount for the green dot and finally a Target Sports Tactical micro green dot with integrated red laser. I did not have a chance to use the green dot yet. I will try it out tomorrow at the range.

11. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Congrats Josef..

12. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

Also got the Armalite front sight and a MOE MBUS rear sight...

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I look forward to a range report on that. I'm exploring my sight options now, and the more information I can get the better my final decision will be.

14. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I've had a few red dots but have never used a green dot sight. I'd like to what what you think after your trip to the range.

15. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

you looking for iron sight options or a red dot type option? if you're looking for the red dot type, i'll recommend the BSA PMRS sight. a google search will turn them up for around $50 shipped. I have one on my AR and after several thousand rounds, many of which were fired with a slide fire stock, it has not lost zero. I've had it for about 5 years now and it's still on the original battery too.

16. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Thanks for that information. How's it work in bright light? I'm in Georgia, and it can get damn hard to see a red dot on some days. Do you use a magnifier with it?
    I just want reliable without having to sell one of the kids. (Well, they can buy the oldest, but he ain't worth much.)

17. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

Where in GA? I live in Woodstock... Happy shooting!

18. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Ha!! You're way up on 575 neighbor!! I'm in Douglasville, just past Six Flags on 20!! Do you happen to have a good outdoor range up there? If so, in a couple weeks we need to get together and go sling some lead.

19. josefsu2000

josefsu2000 New Member

I have not seen an outdoor range up here. Do you know some in your area? I have never shot outdoors. I would love to do that.

20. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I have one near, but they frown on unloading at a rapid fire rate, which drives me nuts. The indoor range around here won't let me shoot my AR (already asked).
    Still searching for a good one though.