M&P and Glock comparison

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Recomm, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Recomm

Recomm New Member

I have a G17 and an M&P .40 cal. I love both weapon systems but am curious as to how they stack up against eachother. I know that Glock has a tremendous reputation with reliability and has been tested to the edge. I really dont know that much about the M&P though. From what I can tell it fires and performs as well but doesn't have the reputation that glocks do. Is it every bit as reliable and tough? Opinions...

2. Crusader2297

Crusader2297 New Member

the m&p 40 is just as reliable and good as the Glock17 ,the glock is so well know because of its military style automatic feature. but i think a good choice for beginners would be a glock
    :cool::cool::cool:

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

The m&p is a great gun....I just don't understand the "bendy" trigger...why? Why? Why? Its so weird...
    My friend has had one for about a year (9mm) 1000+ rounds w/o a hiccup. With that being said..still prefer my g17

4. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I would hope that in the future they will prove to be as reliable as Glocks but it's gonna tough as Glock has a really solid, outspoken reputation as being "hell and back" reliable. But i will say that slowly but surely more law enforcement agencies are starting to employ the M&P line of pistols for duty. I will agree with g17 in that that the trigger is a bit of an odd set-up but it works non the less.

My S&W Sigma (poor mans M&P with a crap shoot trigger) has over 1000rds through it with zero malfunctions and i've run all sorts of ammo so i've no doubt in my mind the M&P is one you can trust your life to :cool:

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I converted to Glocks around 1987. Great guns, and I own a pile of them.

But the M&P is coming on strong.

One of our local ranges has an M&P9 on the rental line. The guys at the range call it "Glock durable". Very high praise in my book. However, they say their rental M&P45 goes back for warranty repair all the time. The M&P45s I've used have been fine, though.

6. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Here's the comparison: The M&P line is S&W's take on the Glock. That's what it is. Just like a Boxster is Porsche's take on the Miata. There will similarities and differences. M&P pistols have the potential to get a Glock-like following. Given that both pistols perform the same, the Glock gets the nod. Why? Because it's been around longer and has proven itself. Will the M&P get to that level? I'm sure it will. I own 2 and they have been great. It takes years of solid performance, however, to be considered truly reliable. The M&P will get there...but Glock is there now.

7. Recomm

Recomm New Member

Those were my thoughts exactly but I had no solid idea. I appreciate it

8. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I got rid of mine because of the hinged trigger. It was extremely accurate and very comfortable. Just a dumb trigger.

I shot about 2000 rounds in about 3 weeks and had a few light strike issues. I will attribute this to ammo. We were running blazers. I had malfunctions, as did a could glocks and an all metal s&w.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The triggers work, don't they? What's dumb about that?

:rolleyes: ;)

There are lots of pistols that copied glock. It's up to you to decide if you like them more, or not!

10. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I blame SA and glock... I have a couple glocks and an XDm. The trigger style is the same, and thats what I got used to. The m&p looks cooler, or in my mind sportier, than the glock. But the feeling just wasnt there.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

I've owned both still have a G27, my CC is a M&P 45 and has been for several years. I'm on my second one as my son talked me out of the first one. I've owned two of the M&P 9C as well, what I learned with those is not to let your loved ones shoot them otherwise they will talk you into letting them have them! The M&P fits me better, seems to have a more natural point of aim, I seem to do far better with follow up shots with the M&P and is every bit as reliable as a Glock IMO.