M&P 9mm mag hanging up

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by ellwood45c, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I know ive put this on before but i'll try it again. My buddy has a 9mm abd the follower is hanging in the cut out on the mag. I put this on before and was told to make sure they were clean, we cleaned them very well and oiled them up but the problem persisted. This is the second set of mags hes had, the gun shop gave him 2 more when the others started with this problem. Now the new ones are doing it, they have about 400 rounds through them when it starts to hang up.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I would send it in to Smith and Wesson.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can you post some picks? You may be able to alter the follower slightly to fix the problem.

4. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I will try to get some pics soon to post .

5. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Here are some pics of what is happening.

Attached Files:

6. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

those aren't the stock mags are they

7. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Yep thats wgat was in the box. I cant figure out why the follower is short and narrow when its pushed down it half the width of the mag. But im used to single stack mags. I really like this 9 and like the feel of it, im considering getting one myself.

8. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

you got a better shot of the magazine full veiw because the picture you have is a little fuzzy

9. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Here is a coupl more pics
    The second pic is with the follower caught in the mag catch hole
    The only thing we have done is change the mag release to the other side for the left handed wich he is

Attached Files:

10. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

I'm left handed, and never had any issues with the mags.

Maybe the spring was put in wrong?

11. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I thought that to i checked it, the issue with the mag doesnt happen till after about 400 rounds are put throught the mag. He has had 4 factory mags an they all do the same thing. He hits around the 400 mark and the mags start hanging up. We have cleaned and oiled them and still get the same issue right after.

12. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Hmmm....

I've had mine since they came out a few years back. I have well over 5000 rounds through her. I have 5 mags, use them all, and never had any issues.

But, it does happen. Have you thought about getting a new follower and seeing if that does anything?

Does the M&P have a mag disconnect?

The issue could be the firearm itself, and not the mags (especially if the mags had been replaced).

13. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

Kind of what I'm thinking. Have you called S&W to get their take on the whole thing?

14. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Oh, was this new or used?

15. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Brand new in the box it is his first pistol. He looked for months before he bought it, and loves it except for the mag.

16. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

Well, I think he should try new mag followers and springs, and see how they work.

He can get the mag followers from MidwayUSA for $1.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/137052/smith-and-wesson-magazine-follower-s-and-w-m-and-p-9mm-luger

they also have mag springs for $3.29

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146699/smith-and-wesson-magazine-spring-s-and-w-m-and-p-9mm-luger-357-sig-40-s-and-w

It's either that, or he calls Smith and Wesson and explains what's happening, and maybe sends it in to be looked at / worked on.

17. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Well caled s&w they emailed a shipping label and its on its way back. Awesome coustomer service told them what was going on and they said no problem send it in.

18. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

that's cool if it happened to one and not others that's one thing but all mags same round count something is fishy best to let them take a look

19. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Didn't realize you were talking about the mag until now....wow!

20. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Yep smith &wesson emailed a shipping label to kevin, he sent it to them. They didnt give any indication what they thought it might be. He told them it was his first handgun and he really loved it. They sent him a hat and window decal yesterday in the mail. He is very impressed with coustomer service. I'm looking at a m&p in 45 , witch is my favorite calliber.