m&p 9 range report/advice

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by endobro, Jan 23, 2014.

1. endobro

endobro New Member

20140123_173445.jpg

Went to the range today. This is the first 20 rounds I shot 25 feet. All down hill from there. Think I'm a little sick so it was hard to even keep the gun held up today

I was practicing different grip strengths as in my research I learned I was teaching so I changed to the correct grip I think. Both thumbs pointing down range. Unfortunately after those rounds I couldn't do it again lol.

I do tend to shoot low left about 7 to 8 o'clock. I dry fired a few times after I shot today and I could see the gun dip. So I'm looking for some suggestions from you guys.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Safely dry fire the gun. A lot. Remove all ammo from the gun, go to another room with no ammo in it, recheck the gun, then dry fire, watching the front sight. (Always dry fire at a 'safe' target.

Are you trapping the trigger when you shoot, then using the reset?

3. endobro

endobro New Member

Yes I was trapping the trigger.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

I love the M&P line, except for the trigger... That took some time for me to get used to. Will eventually get some of the Apex trigger stuff in my 9c. Dry practice helped my shooting a lot, and it is free. :D

5. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

low and left is common for right handed shooters...recoil anticipation. Sounds like you are researching answers...combine that with dry fire practice and LOTS of live fire practice and you should be able to overcome that with time...just lots of perseverance needed....look at the up side; you need to spend more time shooting! :D

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A laser really helps here. It gives you a strong visual of the amount of dip. I have found that trying too hard to control the trigger with a slow squeeze can lead to anticipation. A lot of triggers have a little almost unnoticeable catch just before they break and when you feel it you anticipate. Polishing the sear can help there. The trigger squeeze needs to be smooth but without hesitation.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

It's common among shooters switching from DA/SA or SA only guns to DAO's. Your jerking the trigger slightly at the ignition point. (it) Was happening to me as well with my SR9 until someone gave me the "Graphical" target and told me how to correct it....

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

First forget about the M&P and get healthy first !! Then feeling better just pick it up and give it a try. Sounds like your strong hand is reatching to far forward . Maybe try a larger backstrap?? Change the position of your finger on the trigger. or loose your thumbs?? I don't think about my grip.

Check out this page-
    http://www.hsoi.com/resources/correction_chart-lefthanded.gif

9. endobro

endobro New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely wait to go shooting for a while but I'm glad I went as it exaggerated what I'm doing wrong and so I can practice and correct the issues.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Take a box of good hp ammo to try just to see the difference in the run of the mill 115gr fmj junk and a better quality 124 or 147gr ammo. speer's 124gr gold dot can shoot very well if you can find any. Its a ragged hole ammo in my wifes m&p9c at 7 to 10 yards.

hang in there. It can also take a few hundred rounds for the triggers to slick up and for a shooter to get in tune with a new handgun.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Reference this chart for a right handed shooter. Lefties, just flip it vertically. 1390929442820.jpg 1390929442820.jpg

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.