M&P 9 mags binding up

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by dborns, Feb 5, 2018.

1. dborns

dborns Member

I picked I an M&P 9 for a great price recently. I had heard about issues with the triggers not being the best, but I love this thing. It shoots nice and I think the trigger is smooth.
    The only problem I’ve noticed is all three mags don’t drop free. One will almost drop all the way out, and the other will release out about 1.5” then bind. Both will completely drop with the flick of my wrist, but I was hoping there was a solution to get them to drop free like my other pistols. Any suggestions?

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Congrats on a fine and hard as nails handgun.
    Definitely a service grade gun some people are getting 20,000 rounds and more out of them before having to replace any major parts.

I dont have your issue but maybe...
    you could look at where the mags seem to be wearing.. thats where the interference should be.. file it down just a tad...

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

I have had my M&P 9C for several years, had been a great striker fired gun. No issues with my mags dropping, have you cleaned the inside of the grip since you got it? Just thinking some of the factory gunk might be slowing the mags out some. If that does not help, I would try what bluez said. As a test, you might use some sandpaper on one mag, if it works, then file the gun. Just in case it is an unusual cause, you only risk one mag and the warranty should be OK.

4. dborns

dborns Member

I’ve been carrying this pistol since I bought it and I agree, it’s a great firearm!
    I took a look at the mags this AM before work, and didn’t see real obvious scuffing on them, but I did see some black paint from the mags on the inside of the grips.
    I have not cleaned it out deeply, but I did run a paper towel up through it while at the range. It came out clean. This is a used gun so the warranty is out.
    I’ll be able to work on it tomorrow evening and will report back.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Chalk dust could show you where things rub (or talcum powder)

6. dborns

dborns Member

I took a look at both the mags and inner grip. I do see a little scuffing on the mags, but I see a lot more black paint on the inside of the grip.
    I’ll also add two pics of where the two mags are stopping. This is the pistol almost vertical, with no “help” by flipping my wrist, and just pushing the mag release.
    Just comparing it to my other pistols, all their mags drop free, unlike this one.

Attached Files:

7. dborns

dborns Member

I just noticed there’s an M&P sub-forum. Is there a way to get this thread moved?

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Not sure about moving the thread, but after looking at your pictures, and checking my M&P, I would do some work on that magwell. Maybe start with some fine sand paper, or possibly a file, and go slow while checking the magazine function. I really don't think you will need to remove much material at all.

(I am not a gunsmith...)

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Does it do the same if mags are loaded or empty?

If you decide to smooth things out, be careful. It is easier to remove too much than to add some on.

10. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Moved just now.