M&p .45

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Welderman30, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Welderman30

Welderman30 New Member

When i finish shooting a mag the slide locks open like it should, then when i insert another mag the slide closes on it's own. I kinda like it, but i'm just wondering if this is normal for M&P's or if i have a defect. Anyone else experience this?

2. StLshooter

StLshooter New Member

Both my M&P9c and shield 40 do this. It is Normal.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Slamming a loaded mag home often releases the slide in many semiauto pistols. How often, varies from always to never. It is not by itself a design feature. It is part of your handgun's normal behavior. It is yet another reason to point it in the safe direction at all times.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

My M&P does it. My Glock does it. My wife's SR9c does it. My buddies XDm9 does it.

I am under the impression that most semi auto pistols will encounter this.

5. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I got two words for you, COMBAT RELOAD

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You probably mean speed reload. Are you 100% positive your pistol will give you this courtesy every time? It may shave off a fraction of a second. But it is better not to count on it, and be mentally programmed to release the slide.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

You could be right but I have practice this hundreds of times with several guns I own and never had a problem. My sr, m&p, glock, and hk all do this. My buddy has a m&p9c that had a really tight slide release that we couldn't make close when slamming the mags in. He actually sent his gun back to smith because the slide release was so tight you could barely release it. You know some people prefer to use the release lever. When it came back his slide release was a lot easier to engage and when mags pushed in with a little authority it loaded flawlessly. I never use a slide release and always pull and release the slide. And I don't carry extra mags so no reloads are necessary as I carry two guns. I just thought this was pretty cool. If your guns slide release is very hard to engage chances are this wont happen but if it's easy then I'm sure any auto loader will do this if mags are inserted hard enough. I'm not suggesting anyone do this. Just however you choose practice until you can get her done 100 percent of the time. If this is a design flaw it's not with just your gun, it's with all auto loader handguns. Some just do this easier than others

8. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

A fraction of a second may be life or death by the way

9. Mauser_man

Mauser_man New Member

Mine does this as well. I don't think it's a feature but it should be. It does indeed shave of a bit of time.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

:p
    There must be a reason why it isn't. My guess, it's fool proofing against a human error with the hammer up, safety off, and target not (yet) acquired. Less so for a DAO or Glock action, but I can still see the logic.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

My wife's full size M&P9 does it. We bought it used after it spent a year as a rental.

My 9c doesn't do it though. But we bought it brand spankin' new and I've probably put less than 500 rounds through it. Its still pretty tight. I imagine when its loosened up some more it'll do it as well.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Yet another reason to keep your finger off the trigger until you're lined up with the target.

13. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

+1 on this

14. Olsen

Olsen New Member

Completely normal. My M&P 9, M&P 45, SR9 and P90 do this as well.

15. md_rick_o

md_rick_o New Member

I have the mid size M&P 45 and the first time i shot IDPA it happened to me during one round, really messed with my head. After it happened to me I was kind of wondering if there was something wrong with my pistol. There was a lady there that shot for S&W M&P team and she said if you had a bit of forward momentum along with the upward it will release the slide. She was so fast in the rounds it was ridiculous. After i expected it, i liked it.

16. j4454

j4454 New Member

My M&P9 does it about 90% of the time. I like it as well. I was always told this is more of a polymer framed pistol tendency.