M&p .40

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Jackson87, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

Saw a M&P .40 for sale at a local gun store. It was used and they were asking $409 for it. Guy said the previous owner bought it new from them, didnt like the recoil of a .40 after putting one box of ammo through it and brought it back to trade in. Is that a good deal?? I may get it...

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Yes, it's a great deal on a great gun. You really can't go wrong here if the gun is in fact "like new".

3. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

Oh it looks great. Barely any wear on the barrel or slide.

4. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I just paid 530 for mine brand new so yeah that's a sweeet deal and i'd jump on it without blinking :D

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sounds like a good deal but (you knew that was coming right) have you shot a .40 S&W? Reason I ask is that you may not like the recoil either. .40 is not a heavy recoil, just different...some would say snappy, especially with the lighter PD type rounds.

6. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

Well no I haven't shot .40 yet. Im going to shoot my buddy's G23 this weekend and see what i think about the .40 caliber and then decide on that m&p

7. jmbburger

jmbburger New Member

I've owned several .40. I can honestly say the .40 in the m&p does not have the same recoil...it's much lighter. You will like the m&p...one of the best on the market.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Good, that's sorta where I was going, try out a similar gun in that caliber before you commit to a purchase. Good luck...

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would go to the range and see about renting an M&P40 to see. The Glock is going to give you a different feel then the M&P. Apples to Oranges.

10. jmbburger

jmbburger New Member

That's fine but a G23 is not an m&p 40. My buddy (LEO) tried the G23 and was completely turned off to .40....that is until he tried my m&p. Night and day. The m&p .40 shoots like a 9. Smooth and easy to handle...unlike the Glock. I just hate for you to experience the same as my buddy did.

11. jmbburger

jmbburger New Member

Exactly...great answer

12. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

Well I will surely consider that and keep it in mind when I try out his G23. Because I have no ranges near me to tent guns. I live in a small town 2 hours from Nashville and 1.5hr from Memphis.

I've also been thinking of getting something in .357 sig so I dunno really what I'm gonna do yet. Do S&W make a .357 sig barrel for the M&P .40 yet?

13. MrKANE

MrKANE New Member

I have a 40 and I love the way it feels and shoots... when it shoots. I have been having misfire issues with it. Just mailed it to S&W on their dime for warranty. Hopefully it come back a new gun. Also my brother in law uses a 45 as his duty weapon so he swears by them.

Looks like you found yourself a new gun, that sounds like a great deal!

14. Jackson87

Jackson87 New Member

UPDATE: I went shooting with my buddy that has the G23 and I loved it. We are both bigger guys (about 6' 245lbs) so the .40 recoil doesn't affect us much. But since you guys claim the M&P shoots even better than the G23 I'm gonna HAVE to try an get that M&P lol.

15. RNstanger

RNstanger New Member

I agree. I had a CZ75B in 40 s&w and now have a s&w M&P40C. The M&P feels so much better with a different kind of recoil. More like a push back instead of a snap up. More accurate with my M&P than with my SD9 (9mm)

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 New Member

The M&P .40c is an excellent firearm. Just sold mine to fund one of those vaunted "black rifles". Wife not too happy it's gone. She loved the way it felt, shot, and handled. Just make sure not to pass judgement on it until you put at least 500 rounds down range with it. Pick it up, run like hell, and don't look back. ;)

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

My mom has the M&P .40, and likes the recoil.

Buy it.