M&P .40 issue

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by kalepas, Feb 23, 2014.

1. kalepas

kalepas New Member

Bought my M&P CORE .40 brand new from my local FFL dealer near me. I have shot every type of ammo through it. Maybe 400 rounds so far. From reloads to store bought. My issue is I have maybe a dozen FTF during my range time since I purchased this firearm. It has made me lose my confidence in the system as my carry weapon or Even home defense weapon. Any suggestion? I have two other handguns and have no such issues. I have read nothing but positive reviews w guys putting thousands of rounds through their M&P s w/ no issues.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Contact S&W about it, best customer service there is.

Could be a mag problem. Explain exactly what is happening, and maybe we can better help you.

I trust my M&P more than any other handgun out there.

3. kalepas

kalepas New Member

It is when I am shooting...it isn't double feeding but instead the slide seems have trouble w it's timing. The expired round will eject but the new round won't rack completely!

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Hmmm recoil spring could be to heavy.
    Do you have an optic on it?

5. kalepas

kalepas New Member

Negative...rail mounted light is pretty much as far as I have gotten.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Could be a mag problem: mark your mags and see if problems occur specifically with one particular mag. I use a paint pen from a craft store to number my mags. If I notice a mag developing a trend for feed problems, it gets rebuilt or trashed.

Could be a recoil spring problem. A weak spring could prevent the proper feed of the next round.

Could be an ammo problem. You say you've fed it lots of different types of ammo, but do some types run better than others?

Could be a shooter related problem, such as grip interfering with the slide or controls, or limp writing. Pay attention to your grip and making sure you don't contact anything but grip and trigger. Also make sure your wrist is locked tight.

Could be a completely separate mechanical issue. If the above steps don't indicate something obvious, then you should definitely call S&W.

7. ams556

ams556 New Member

No offense to OP but this is probably the issue. I have had very few malfunctions with my M&P and everyone was while someone else was firing it.

8. kalepas

kalepas New Member

Been shooting for 25 yrs. I believe my grip is just fine. Plus when shooting my other handguns I have no such issues. After spending time shooting it more over the weekend i have determined it not to be a mag issue as it happens w all 4 of my mags.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Either it's the recoil spring, . . . or it's you. What happens when other people shoot it? Were all the magazines bought at the sametime from the same place?

10. roguejesse

roguejesse New Member

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention cleaning & lining the gun after you bought it.

You did field strip it, remove the factory grease, & properly lube the gun before you fired it. Right?

Jesse

11. Mouser

Mouser Member

I cringe when I see this thought being put forward...a defense gun, handguns in this case, must have a wide operating window with which to be judged a good weapon. On the contrary to some of the posters here...it is almost never the shooter and his/her grip as the root cause...maybe...and I mean maybe a manifestation of a mechanical issue will show up with grip strength. The weapon is a high precision mechanical instrument and when outfitted with properly fitted accessories, should produce results over a wide array of shooters and conditions. M&P has a great reputation and brand...I would look at the mag first, marking them to see if you can isolate one problematic mag...if the failures occur with several mags/ammo types then send your gun in with a full description...may be a mechanical issue, although rare, they do occur.

Just because a few people go through life without a problem, doesn't mean problems don't exist with other guns in the same population...it is an odds game and you may have drawn the unlucky straw.

12. ams556

ams556 New Member

Mouser I am just shy of a1000 rounds and I have only seen 3-4.

This is simple high school physicals. If the guns recoil is mostly being soaked up by a limp wristed grip of course the slide will not actuate properly.

This is like taking a finely turned sports car onto a sheet of ice and blaming the car when you smack a tree, because the brakes "didn't work".