M&P 22 vs. Ruger sr22

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by gunnut165, Dec 17, 2012.

1. gunnut165

gunnut165 New Member

I've been wanting to get a 22 pistol to start my young son shooting. And of course for dad to have a little fun with also. After a lot of on line searching I think I've narrowed it down between these two. Just looking for anyone's option to help me with my final decision.

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

My wife(aka ZG) has a Ruger SR22 and we love it. Very accurate right out of the box. We haven't had any problems with it. If you are looking for a .22, have you looked at the Ruger 10/22 rifle or are you set on a handgun?

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 that I love. It's the handgun version. Very fun to shoot and accurate.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

For hand guns I would suggest the sr22. For a rifle I would go with the 10/22 takedown as not only a great rifle but a pre-ban investment.

5. danolator

danolator New Member

Like my SR22 so much that I just picked up the 10/22 Takedown. If the rifle is only 3/4 as good as the handgun, it is gonna rock. Love the M&P, but Ruger owns .22LR IMO.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Have the M&P 15-22. It is my more fun that a barrel of monkeys gun. Here is what I like about it.

• True AR, 2-piece design. This makes maintaining and cleaning the rifle dirt simple.
    • Very lightweight.
    • Accurate
    • High capacity magazines. I really don't like spending time reloading.
    • Accepts all aftermarket AR furniture. You can customize it to your heart's desire.
    • Unlike some other 22 AR's, the bolt hold open actually works.

7. mak6820

mak6820 New Member

I have been looking at .22s for a while now. My fav is the M&P 22. That is the one I am going to go buy. The SR22 is great but very very small in my hands. I have rented them all and with a total of about 850 rounds across 5-6 .22s, i like the size and feel of the M&P.

8. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

M&P22 is made by Umarex, just like the Walther P22 and the SIG Mosquito.

Unlike those guns, it appears to actually be worth a damn.

M&P22 is full size. Only down side is that it only comes with one magazine.

The SR22 appears to be a great pistol as well, but is smallish. Not picky about ammo though.

Both appear to be great guns. I favor the SR22 because it is cheaper, magazines are cheaper, and it appears to be more reliable. I did see a M&P22 for under $400 the other day though and nearly bought it. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

9. Bagger

Bagger New Member

I have both M&P 9 mm handguns ... the full size and the "C". The 9C is my daily carry piece most times ... and I like both them very much. They are my favorite handguns.

I bought the M&P 15/22 and it's a great rifle. I like it a great deal. I also have the Ruger 10/22 that I have added many components to and it's nice as well. But, the M&P is a better choice IMO based on how I shoot and optics/ergos.

Also, I have the SR22 Ruger pistol. What a nice gun. I bought it for my girl friend, but I shoot it all the time. Very accurate, pretty inexpensive, and it eats any ammo I toss at it.

If I were getting a .22 rifle and handgun, I'd get the M&P 15/22 and the Ruger SR22. You will no be disappointed.

10. PeaShooter22

PeaShooter22 New Member

I have a mp22 and a sr22 and they are both great. The only differences between the two is the price, the magazine quantity and the sr22 is compact and the mp22 is full size.

11. mi77915

mi77915 New Member

My first handgun was the M&P.22. I must have 3000 rounds thru this gun with only a few FTF's. I can't speak for the Ruger, but my M&P is a great gun.

12. WDbeej

WDbeej New Member

Recently bought an M&P 22 as a cheaper alternative to my M&P 9. Fun gun to shoot. It has the same feel, grip angle and sight line as my 9. This makes it cheaper to train with at the range. It is slightly lighter, but feels similar enough. Have put over 500 rounds through it with only one ftf. Been running bulk Federal through it. I am happy with mine.

13. gunnut165

gunnut165 New Member

Great gun,a lot of fun too shoot. I need to find some more ammo running low. Congrats on the new gun.

14. mak6820

mak6820 New Member

What did you pay for your M&P .22? I am going to be buying one in near future and want to know what a good deal looks like.

15. shooter1059

shooter1059 New Member

I have the M&P 22 to train with. Mine came with two magazines. It fits the same kydex holster as my M&P 40. The only thing different is that is has a safety. It has yet to jam unlike a lot of other brands.

16. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I had the m&p 22 but prefer the Ruger. The m&p was super accurate but the overall feel of the SR22 is better IMHO.

17. mag318

mag318 Member

The new compact version is out now and showing up on dealers shelves. I can't wait to check one out.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The M&P is going to be the best of the guns the OP asked about. The Ruger 22/45 is the best value in that class of pistols. The 22/45 resells very well. It's not that the M&P is inferior....People have wanting a 22/45 for a long time. They will buy a used 22/45 in a hurry.

19. mag318

mag318 Member

The new M&P22 Compact is out and I just bought one. This pistol is going to be a game changer for this market, it's that nice. The full size M&P22 is a decent pistol and well liked by centerfire M&P owners. But many people like myself wanted something a tad smaller and this new Compact is just about perfect. Once I had one in hand I made the decision to buy it. Now made in house by S&W the quality is even better than the German examples and it's one of those pistols that just feels right. Here are some photos of mine.

Attached Files:

20. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I recently purchased the full size M&P 22 full size (although I am salivating over this compact lol) and I love it. Shoots great..accurate and good with most ammo I have put through it. I spent a lot of time mulling the sr22 and the m&p 22 over...and for me it came down to the fact that I wanted a .22 that was a trainer as well as something for backyard fun. With that said
    M..it is a full size frame and if kids are going to be shooting it...that may be something ro consider...or find the one above!