Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think about the m&p and is it necessary to spend the extra money on a colt or other high dollar ar

·
Registered
159 Posts
The standard response... what is the intended purpose?

S&W makes good products. I have never shot one of their AR's. Spend a week on this forum and you will have a list of choices.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
The sports a nice entry level range gun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okdonk said:
$600-700 price range without forward assist and ejection door, i can live with that.
OK I know I'm going to catch so much hell for asking this question but what is forward assist

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
OK I know I'm going to catch so much hell for asking this question but what is forward assist
What it was originally for was to force a reluctant cartridge into the chamber. Since there is no bolt handle like on a garand or m1a some folks thought that the m16 needed a way to jam shells into a chamber.

If you have a failure to fully chamber a round do NOT use the forward assist. Eject the round and use a fresh one. Inspect the chamber and bore for blockage. This is true of any autoloader pistol or rifle. Out of spec ammo can cause fail to chamber again do not use the assist eject the round inspect chamber.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have been looking for one of these, but it seems everyone is out of stock.
i'm just getting into AR's, so i'm no expert. but i recently purchased the M&P sport and i have had great experiences so far.

i put a cheap(ish) red dot on it & its getting 1.5 groups at 50 (which is good for ME with no magnification). i have somewhere around 400 rounds through it with no failures so far. don't miss the forward assist or dust cover AT ALL.

the one thing i have noticed is, without a heat shield in the hand guard, it can get HOT. but you can just slap on a forward grip or replace the hand guard, so its really no big deal imo.

and i agree, they are hard to find. i had saved my pennies and went looking. academy did not have one in the state of texas....:eek:. everywhere online was sold out. i had to go to cabelas and pay $20 more. but the worst part was, had i not called to hold the gun, it would have been sold before i got there (within an hour). :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
You should! :p

Honestly if you don't know what the FA is I'd say crack the books and learn all you can before buying anything. In the long run you'll get a better rifle and probably save money by doing your research.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quentin said:
You should! :p

Honestly if you don't know what the FA is I'd say crack the books and learn all you can before buying anything. In the long run you'll get a better rifle and probably save money by doing your research.
Oh I will man definitely lol it takes me 6 months to a year to make any big purchase

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Oh I will man definitely lol it takes me 6 months to a year to make any big purchase
That'll work! :p

Read Agent Tikki's AR15 Primer sticky and everything else you can before you buy. It's hard to get good info quickly. Six months, if you go about it diligently, can almost make you a SME.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Shipped to your FFL. You might want to learn more beside FA. ;)
lol, take it easy now....everyone starts somewhere. :p

damn, that is a good deal! not around when i was looking! i have never purchased a firearm via online dealer.....just out of curiosity what is the average(ish) cost of a ship to a FFL? i know it isn't much (i was thinking $10-20), but i just wondered what it adds to the price?

personally, i always prefer to "bond" with a gun (is the more correct word "grope"? :p) a bit before i make a final decision to buy.

i was interested in a coach gun awhile back. looked so sweet online. found a place i could handle it, and i was surprised to discover it felt very cheaply made.....changed my mind completely about it!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My FFL charges $25 for IN transfers, up to 3 firearms. So you might want to check how much they charge. Not to mention some states require background check, in Nevada $25 for each check. And you don't have to pay Tax if going by this route.
Just FYI, hope this gives u an idea of the total cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts